Can anyone explain... RAM issues..help please

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fractalfro, Oct 22, 2003.

1. fractalfro macrumors newbie

I have purchased 2 types of ram for my g4 733 tower and neither works. the first was OEM and the second mitsubishi i belive. when i install them i just get a beep from the computer and it won't boot. This is low end ram that i purchased at fry's but I don't see why it won't register to the system. these are 512mb sdram 168pin dimm 64x64 pc133's. I have never had any issues installing ram before. do i need to buy better ram? I really need this working asap for a project. Thanks ahead of time to any help i get.

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Included in RAM specifications, besides speed and type, are:

ECC or non-ECC
    buffered or unbuffered
    registered or unregistered

If you can find the original specs of the memory, check these against your new memory.

Most of the memory should be 3.3V, unbuffered (not registered or ECC), PC133 SDRAM.

3. fractalfro thread starter macrumors newbie

re:specs

the ram is unbuffered and i'm not sure about the ecc or registration. I just found an article stating that the latest firmware made it so that certain ram is now unusable. do i basicall have to buy kingston or some high end brand only. is there a compatibilty chart somewhere because i can't find one. thanks again.

ncluded in RAM specifications, besides speed and type, are:

ECC or non-ECC
    buffered or unbuffered
    registered or unregistered

If you can find the original specs of the memory, check these against your new memory.

Most of the memory should be 3.3V, unbuffered (not registered or ECC), PC133 SDRAM.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Don't forget CL2 or CL3 (or even CL2.5) CL2 is the better spec and will work where CL3 ram is needed.

5. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Re: re:specs

Might try Crucial.com. I've never had a problem with their RAM and it is at a reasonable price too.

Yeah, Crucial had CL2.5 but I've never found this to cause a system not to work. It might slow it down. But, I haven't seen all RAM problems in my life. :)