Can anyone get a video on this website to work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Madmic23, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody, I have a website video problem.
    Now don't laugh at me, but I'm trying to watch videos on WWE.com. Ya, I know, I'm a wreslting fan.
    Anyways, everything on there is in windows media format which works fine on my pc, but I hardly ever turn that on and want to watch stuff on my iMac G5.
    Anyways, a few weeks back I got some of the videos working by opening them in Windows Media Player. Since then, I've installed Flip4Mac, and now practically nothing works.
    Can someone here go to http://www.wwe.com/shows/webshows/heat/ and see if they can get any of the videos to work, and if you do, let me know how you did it? Just pick any random match on there.
    Thanks for the help guys!

By the way, are there any other wrestling fans on here?

2. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

It seem to work, but since you have Flip4Mac installed, the first thing to do is quit Safari, then open system preferences and select the Flip4Mac pane. Click the Plug-in tab and uncheck Use Flip4Mac WMV plug-in. (Doing this will automatically swap Flip4Mac's plug-in with Windows Media Player 9 plug-in in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder. Relaunch Safari, load the WWE page and select a video. A pop-up window from the site will confirm your net connection and acknowledge that you have Windows Media Plugin but the version can't be determined (shows a question mark next to the WMP logo). That's okay, just click proceed which will take you to the video and you'll see WMP 9's embedded web plug-in loaded and ready to go. Unfortunately, the site insists that you register before you can watch the video and I wasn't interested in registering, so I couldn't sample actual playback, but since the plug-in loaded it should play.

Hopefully you still have WMP 9 installed on your system. It's a good idea to keep it and Flip4Mac, at least for the time being. Flip4Mac's plug-in is still a work in progress - works on some sites, doesn't on others. That's why they included the plug-in selection checkbox in the preference pane so you can easily swap plug-ins if you come across a site that doesn't work in Flip4Mac. Supposedly, they are constantly revising the plug-in whenever they hear of a site that fails so the next release of Flip4Mac should be even more capable of handling WMV-based websites. It's a good idea to leave them a message on their support forum at their website if you run across a website that doesn't work. They are very good at acknowledging that stuff and the more sites they know about and can test, the better.

3. Madmic23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats better!

Thanks, that works alot better now. I had a problem when I tried to watch some of the clips from the web shows area where it said "error: invalid path name" or something like that, but I'm pretty sure that is on there end. The other videos that I tried on the website worked fine.
    Thanks for the help!