Can anyone help finish my Workgroup Server 95?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by TastyOther, Oct 4, 2005.

1. TastyOther macrumors member

Hi!

I can't post in marketplace. Darn.

Anyway, I've got a rather mad collection of Macs, and my main 'glue' for the system is an Apple Workgroup Server 95 which will eventually be running A/UX, but for the time being trots along on 7.6.

It is a genuine AWS, but the previous owner gutted it.

So I'm looking for a Pisces card (SCSI, L2 Cache), a 5-drive cage, a CD-ROM drive Bezel, and cables. I'm also looking for more 16Mb 30-pin SIMM modules for it.

Shreve had them, but they've sold out - and they were complete machines :(

I'm based in the UK, but I'm happy to pay shipping on components. A whole machine for spares would be a bit OTT ;)

2. Dr. No macrumors regular

Do you actually have A/UX? Do you have any experience with it?

I have always wondered about it. People say it was one of the greatest OSes ever, NASA used to use it I believe.

Good luck.... I remember when the Workgroup Server line came out- back in 1993 :)

Do you know how to install A/UX??

3. TastyOther thread starter macrumors member

I've installed A/UX before, on my Q700 - ran it dual head with 2 14" monitors, but didn't really get much into it. It seemed to work fine, but until I have my AWS 95 running right, I don't think I'll get a proper idea of it. I've only got 148Mb RAM, too - aiming for 256.

I've got 3.1 I think. Somewhere. I'll have to find what I did with the CDs now!

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

On another note.

I see you have a Dell Precision 410.

If its a doorstop, wanna sell the hard disks and RAM it has to me? :)

Or trade.

I wish this took 72-pin SIMMs, then'd you'd be in business. Will look for some 16 MB pieces of 30 pin when I go to my PC User Group on Thursday

5. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I've got 2 Macintosh Quadra 950's, and two Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 Computers, so if you do need some parts I know some from each are swappable, please PM me if you would like to get more info.

Thank You!

6. TastyOther thread starter macrumors member

I think the drive cage from the 9150 would fit; does it have a 5-drive cage in the upper bay behind the upper bays? And presumably the CD-ROM drive bezel.

The design of the case is slightly different, so maybe the internals are different.

Presumably the 9150 doesn't have the Pisces PDS card with SCSI/L2 Cache for the 040.

7. TastyOther thread starter macrumors member

It's a functional 410, upgraded to dual PIII-450s - but the RAM isn't anything special! Just 168-pin DIMMs, and only 256Mb installed at the moment after one went bad.

I wish the AWS took 72 pin as well; I have plenty (and most of it, too large to use - 8Mb is too big for my NeXT Color as it is an early one).