can anyone help?---please???

Discussion in 'Marketplace Archive 1 (Posts count)' started by jipper, May 5, 2002.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have a real doozy of a problem on my hands. I bought a brand "spanking" new blueberry iBook back in 2000. Unfortunately the time has come where the battery has coughed its last charge. This means that my magically wonderful looking eye-turning laptop is now destined for desktop AC adaptor status. I know that this laptop is about 2 and a half years old and i was wondering if anyone had perhaps replaced their old ibook by now with a newer model. If this is the case, does anyone have a working iBook battery gathering dust????
    I cannot understate how grateful I would be, as a student I have already forked out money for a new AC adaptor, and speaker-- I cannot afford to keep spending money on the machine, if indeed the battery is even still available.
    I miss wandering through the hallowed halls of Monash with my iBook and receiving grins from the passers-by.
    Thanks for reading (if that's all you can do!!!),

Tim.
    tamot1@student.monash.edu.au

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 6502

macstudent

4. macrumors 68020

Beej

Help the guy out, he goes to my Uni :)

Which campus?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 68000

Spock

I think www.clubmac.com has single USB batt's cheap like $29.99
    www.vsttech.com had them but I don't think they have the anymore but worth a look. Hope that helps.

Spock

7. macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: can anyone help?---please???

I don't have a spare iBook battery, but I should point out that this statement means, "I would be very, very ungrateful." You want to use "overstate" there. :)

8. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: umm...

Chill out Bubba... Call your local (or the closest) Apple retail store, or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) and see if they can give you leads on the battery you need. I would venture to say that the AASP will either have one, or can point you where to get one.

9. macrumors newbie

hi tim!this is andrio fm chicago,il.don't be hurry to drop your old battery on the garbage.just try to open it and replace the elements inside with new ones.normally they are standart,compare the capacity and the type/Li-ion,Ni-Mh,etc/

10. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I highly recommend NOT doing this. You would be better served getting a fresh battery then d*cking around with the old one. Besides, how confident do you feel about getting it back together?? Considering how one made to work with the computer will be properly built, and not fry your system if you get the innards wrong.

11. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There's nothing special about a laptop battery besides its enclosure. Inside a battery pack are several standard Li-ion or NiMH batteries. Just write down how they're wired together, go to Batteries Plus, and re-solder (if required) your new batteries. At the very worst, you'd have to super-glue the case back together and you'd have only saved at least 50% off of the extortionary prices Apple and other laptop makers charge for old batteries.

Alex

12. macrumors regular

Confused...

I'm sorry that I don't know much about batteries, but I am also an iBook owner (although I have a Key Lime SE) and I've noticed that my battery life has been reduced to somewhere around 30 minutes...I wasn't sure if I was going insane or if the battery really was wearing down...could someone explain to me how laptop batteries actually work and if there is a way to salvage my current battery (without taking it apart)?

-ArtMan617

13. macrumors 6502

617 is a boston area code, so y r u in princeton?

14. macrumors regular

Actually, the 617 stands for my birthday...I am in Princeton

-ArtMan617