can anyone help (System Problems...Bad RAM?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by highjinx, Mar 29, 2007.

1. highjinx macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2007
    I have had my ibook g4, which i bought new, exactly 1 year and 2 weeks ago, THEREFORE 12 days past my warrantee. all of a sudden my programs started "closing unexpectedly" so i searched and searched online , only to eventually run the apple hardward test which turned out this error code on memory 2MEM/1/4: DIMMO/BUILT-IN which turned no hits when searching the web. SO i follow instructions on and am reinstalling OS X it is trying to install for the second time... but the first time it failed and lost the archive that it was making of my file(no big deal). what i am afraid of is that my $1500 computer is kaputz and so shortly after warrantee expired... can someone tell me anything about what to do, short of bringing it in to be raped finanically for repair?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Sounds like a dodgy RAM chip. Do you have third party RAM? If so, you might still be in warranty so take it out and send it back. If not, you'll have to take the chip out anyway. :eek:
  3. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    ^^ Agreed. If the hardware test is yelling about DIMMs and such, it's probably bad RAM. Find out what RAM you computer uses ( is a great way to figure that out), and buy yourself some new RAM :)
  4. NuDarwin macrumors member

Mar 26, 2007
    The error code you have may mean any one of two things

1) your mem chip is bad. memory is cheap, has good prices. And it will walk you through which chip you need.

2)the slot for the mem chip on your computer's logic board is busted. ouch. expen$ive. this requires your friendly local aasp.