can anyone here think of a good thing...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

that bush has done?

i don't mean to troll (well, maybe a little) but i've been overwhelmed by the amount of negative headlines in here. so i tried to think - what's something positive bush has done or succeeded at?

the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is the "no-call" list, a dubious tribute at best. things he's done wrong include putting the country into debt, starting an unnecesary war, alienating our allies in our time of need, he's seen terrorism rise since 9-11, and his administration has consistently fought for lessening civil liberties and constitutional rights.

but surely there must be something?

i'm really kind of concerned, now that i think about it, that i'm this stumped. it means one of two things - either i've become too close minded to the opposition, or our president really is that bad. i'm hoping i'm just misinformed or misguided.

2. Bobcat37 macrumors member

I can think of plenty of things, but I don't really have time right now to bother with it...

Just to give you ONE thing, just a little while ago Bush signed a new law that makes Identity Theft a more serious crime with harsher penalites.

Since (from what I'v heard) identity theft is like the number one crime these days, that sounds like a great idea to me.

PS- Even though this is your topic, maybe you should have restricted the discussion to ONLY good things Bush has done (and not include bad in there), because otherwise I'd bet a lot of people here will just dwell on the bad and ignore any good. Liberals are such pessimists :p ;)

3. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

hmmmmm.... I think you picked it... the no-call list... I seriously can't think of anything else...

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

imo, the only plan which has been a raging success is the DNC list.

i'm holding my breath about lebanon "giving up" their weapons ambitions.

other than that, i'm at a loss.

5. Bobcat37 macrumors member

You do realize that usually we don't hear about every signle thing the President signs into law (we probably don't hear about most of it)? I bet you guys didn't know about the identity theft policy (which so far 2 of you have ignored, I guess I'm invisible (edit- err nevermind, see below)). I would have provided a link to the news article I read it in, but the article is already gone (too old).

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Or maybe we all posted at the same time :rolleyes: Read the time signatures on the posts ;)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it's in my signature... aka Reforming some banking laws.

8. Bobcat37 macrumors member

LOL.... :D

Sorry, I've never seen three people post at the same time before!

I take back my invisble comment!

*walks away feeling stupid* :p

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

*helps bobcat pull his feet out of his mouth*

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

for better or worse, the man (and his administration) were the personification of a nationwide "wake-up call/slap in the face"...

despite what happens in November, I believe we will eventually be a better Nation because of it...

11. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I agree... if we learn from our mistakes.

12. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

This is the law that is going to take my job away. ie check 21.
    Progress, you either move forward with it or move out of the way. *shrug*

13. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

Actually I think in Canada and elsewhere they call that same list the do call list. You can't do anything about people calling you from outside of the border and they have a convienient listing of phone numbers right on that list.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Does he get any credit for ending the Taliban's support of Al Qaida? Or for bossing a system which has caught a fair number of those folks who were on their way to do Bad Deeds? Or for the serious interruption of their smooth-flowing acquisition of funds?

He's worked to improve relations with Mexico, which has been a serious problem area for many decades.

We're now in much more difficult times than during the Carter era, but Bush hasn't given in to the "Oh, woe!" so prevalent then. Efforts to keep the national morale on the upbeat side are not to be sneered at.

Spending? One could reasonably say he's repeating LBJ's mistake of a "guns'n'butter" policy. IIRC, LBJ was a Democrat...Regardless, it takes the Congress' approval for the spending. He could have, of course, either not called for the military spendings, or alternatively he could have reduced domestic spending. Given the stagnant economic total activity, we'd still have a large deficit even without his tax cuts. IOW, none of the options are palatable to the public at large. So, guns'n'butter allows a great amount of normalcy in daily living--which, again pleases the public at large.

'Rat

15. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Bush signed the Partial Birth Abortion Act of 2003.
    But that could be good or bad depending on your view. And since most of macrumors leans towards the left I'm guessing most people will see that as a bad thing. But I view it as a good thing so I'm posting it. :p

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The Taliban no longer support al Qaeda? I had heard the Taliban (and their support of bin Laden) were on the rise in Afghanistan these days.

Sure he gets credit for capturing a number of high-ranking Bad Guys. But I'd counter that he has created more enemies than he has captured or killed, and that any Bad Guy taken out of the organization is immediately replaced by another ready and eager face. One step forward and two steps back...

Again, last I heard US/Mexican relations were on ice. Bush started off working to improve relations with Mexico, but has managed to greatly irritate many people over there with his border policies and general rhetoric towards immigrants.

Trying to do good things doesn't count. ;)

I wouldn't call raising and lowering the national threat level constantly helpful at keeping the national morale level high. Nor would I consider tough talk about evildoers and an axis of evil to be calming to the populace. In fact, I would say Bush deliberately whipped the fears of the country into a justification for war.

So you're saying that Bush didn't learn from LBJ's mistakes (in your eyes) yet that is totally fine with you? Or do you simply believe that, despite all evidence to the contrary, it would have been worse if a Democrat had been in office?

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh, I forgot...Bush and the GOP have been a boon to the Documentary Film Industry...there have been a lot of decent documentaries (or near-documentaries) in the past year to current times...

Good stuff...

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

As far as economics, I've been trying to second-guess which way economies are going; inflation/deflation, money rates, all that stuff, for some fifteen or twenty years. Trying to figure out causal relationships. So, as I see it, overall Bush is at worst a wash on economics. I won't begin to be absolute about it, but he--and his advisors--might well have had it worse, or done worse, than what we're seeing.

I think we're in a period where any Administration's policies could make things worse, but can't make things better. Too many forces at work. Many speculators like Soros in his money deals; many countries doing like China and taking advantage of their labor forces' low wages to undercut our industries' sales competitiveness.

"Bush started off working to improve relations with Mexico, but has managed to greatly irritate many people over there with his border policies and general rhetoric towards immigrants."

His general rhetoric toward immigrants oughta be seen very favorably by Mexico. The amnesty stuff is giving a lot of conservatives a serious case of chapped, er, lips. That's it, lips. :) The illegal Mexican criminal border jumpers are really looking forward to permanent-residency status, per news reports. And it's the Border Patrol and border-area citizens who are mad at the "border policies".

'Rat

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Trying to be honest (if I can say more so than GW has been), I totally supported his actions in Afghanistan. Same with the idea of the Homeland Security Director (though i question the Intelligence position - I thought the Homeland Director was to answer the "smoke-stack" concerns).

That is about it. He talked of compassion in 2000, but has shown none IMO. i could go on, but that has been covered in many other threads.

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

same here , i supported it too (and france,germany and austria too ;) )
    sadly that the interest in afgahnistan dropped fast... stabilzing that country before going somewhere else would have been nice....

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought getting the weapons inspectors back into Iraq was a real accomplishment. Now if only that hadn't been a means to another end...

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The cynic in me believes that he did that more to benefit his corporate friends than us little people.

23. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Statistics I have heard show that EVERYONE in their lifetime will be the victim of Identity Theft. In fact, I have a friend who is friends with a guy who deals SOLELY in Identity Theft cases, he knows the ins and outs of it 100%, it's his job to. However he himself told my friend that despite everything he knows, he is sure that he will still be a victim of IT at some point in his life...

May the cynic in you take what he wants from that ;)

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That may well be; I just doubt that that was foremost in Bush's mind. I think he was mainly concerned with helping corporations avoid big-time monetary losses.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If someone could point me to the new law about identity theft, I would like to see what there might be in it for companies to protect themselves.

I am a cynic because of the revamping of bankruptcy laws tended to support the Big Business, than putting responsibility on both the creditor and the consumer.

In the case of the bankruptcy laws, the creditors are still allowed to give more credit to those that history shows can ill handle it. We talk of personal responsibility, but there should be a responsibility of companies not extending further credit to those that are demonstrating or might demonstrate further inability to meet their credit obligations. Someone that is unable to afford 10 to 12% interest rates, is even less likely to afford 21 to 27% interest rates if the fall behind.

Responsibility in this case goes both ways. From a business sense does it make any sense that someone is able to have revolving credit that equals or exceeds their yearly income?

Add to that in the case of bankruptcy, a good portion of the cases involve those that have had catastrophic health care bills. I know some will say that there are "safety nets". But do you realize that these safety nets are based on in many cases of the previous years tax returns?

Given the state of the economy, there are many that are not earning what they did last year. And if the Bush Labor Department wins on the overtime pay issue, that number will grow. That leaves some with few options when it comes to paying for healthcare.

As some may know, my partner, Teddy, had to have his appendix removed recently. I spent the evening in the ER. We live in Fairfax County, one of the richest counties in the US. I was surprised by the number of people in the ER waiting room were concerned about how their visit was going to be paid for. Some were part of the new job force, temp workers without benefits. Some were part of the "underground" workforce that allows for illegals to seek day-labor work. And at least one said that it was a choice of paying health insurance, or making rent. IMO, A sad state of affairs when we can have no-bid contracts for a questionable war. We can send billions of dollars overseas in order to give lesser countries a leg up on healthcare.

In our case, I was able to dip into my home equity loan to pay the $500 a month for his COBRA insurance. (There is the issue that if we had equal rights for all, that his "life changing event" of the job layoff would have allowed him access to my insurance for just another $100 a month).

Back to the original post I am responding to. Identity theft is very real. From reports that I have seen it is years before one can take and correct the error. The cost can be high, both in terms of time of the victim, and the possibility of lawyers needed. in the end the victim ends up paying higher costs for their credit till the error is corrected. I know of no laws, or corporate policy that gives them back the extra money they paid during that time.

Maybe I am old fashioned. But i subscribe to the ideal of doing unto others as you would have done unto you. I wonder what happens to a senior member of Capital One or Bank of America, if their identity is stolen? I seriously doubt that they are made to go through the hoops that you or I are made to go through.