Can anyone identify my watch?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacRy, Sep 23, 2006.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

My brother very kindly gave me his old Breitling watch today in an uncharacteristic display of generosity and I wonder if there is anyone lurking around these forums who has any idea as to what model it is and the year of manufacture? I know there are a lot of watch aficionados here at MacRumors so i'm sure some bright spark will be able to help me.

Any information would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Did he not tell you anything before he gave it to you?

BTW It looks as if it needs to be serviced.

3. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Nice watch. I'm not an expert but I can point you to them. Go to www.watchuseek.com and check out their forums. Don't forget to thank your brother. Again.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Looks like a Breitling Geneve 1970's...1975 maybe. I think if it were the "top time" model it'd be worth quite a bit, yucky or not. This looks like it's in great shape and well worth it. A very generous gift indeed. I think it's Swiss.

5. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Of course its Swiss, and the model name is not Geneve most watches made in the Canton of Geneva bear the name Geneve on it (the french name for Geneva).

6. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

A friend comments:

Looks like a 1950s Premier to me. Technically known as a tachometer chronograph, as it has a tachometer scale. Probably a Venus 150 caliber, according to my book.

It is nice and worth dropping Breitling a line with the watch number - they should be able to provide more information.

http://www.breitling.com/en/misc/contact/

7. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

Thanks for all your replies. I tried on the watchuseek forums and got some further info. I took the case back off and found the numbers: 2000 and 900565. It also had the word Premier written on the movement confirming that it is a Premier.

900565 is the serial number that dates the watch to 1958. The movement looks like a Venus 188 i've been told. But the reference 2000 is an unknown entity though.

My brother knows very little about watches and brought it off of a friend on the cheap so can't tell me anything about it himself. I'm going to have it serviced as soon as possible as it needs a little TLC.

8. iGav macrumors G3

And I'll swap you it for a 2000 Casio G-Shock. ;) :D

9. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

LOL.

Yeah alright then Gav - throw in a packet of crisps and you've got a deal. :)

10. iGav macrumors G3

Wicked. I was worrying that it might not be vintage enough. So I was ready to offer my 1997 Casio G-Shock to really sweeten the deal. heh.

11. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I don't want to go taking advantage of you mate. If you're offering that then i'd better throw in the packet of crisps......and not just normal ones - posh ones like Walkers Sensations!

12. ivo.bg macrumors newbie

Hi,

I found this forum and I saw that you guys have indentified a Breitling watch. I have the same issue. This is my new watch, received by one satisfied customer of mine but I don't even know how to operate with it or what is its value. All it says is a golden sign Breitling Navitimer.

I'd be thankfull for any information provided.

Attached Files:

13. ivo.bg macrumors newbie

Or is this a better picture?

Attached Files:

14. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

15. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

beautiful watch, I've always wanted a breitling but I haven't had quite a significant occasion to warrant buying it.

16. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

As someone already mentioned, it's probably a Venus Chrono movement from the 1940's or slightly later.

Here's a site that has some good info on older Breitlings.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/breitling.htm

17. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

It has a Hamilton/Breitling caliber 11 automatic chrono movement in it. The latter movement was a joint venture between Hamilton, Breitling and Buren, and made its debut in 1969. The latter and the Zenith El Primero (caliber 400 in its current incarnation) were the first automatically wound chronographs on the market.

The interesting thing about the Breitling caliber 11 is that it used a regular Buren ultra slim automatic movement (using a micro rotor as the winding mechanism in order to keep it so slim) and had a specially designed chrono module attached to the movement side which could easily be removed for easy servicing of either.

See the link that I posted in my previous post, and scroll down a little.

18. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Get one, they are fantastic watches. I've had mine for 7 years and it looks brand new (and I wear it every day), one thing to remember they cost a lot to have serviced (£200) or replace the battery (£50) but don't worry about the initial cost as the watch will last you a life time