Can anyone recommend a good collaborative writing tool?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by jojoba, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm looking for something that

- doesn't require other users to sign up for a service or log in, a password would be OK
    - can handle simultaneous editing by more than one person
    - security settings 'viewed by anyone with the link' is sufficient

Otherwise, I don't need elaborate features, these are simple and short documents.

I thought google docs would do this for me, but so far I'm unable to make it work.

2. macrumors 6502a

For a while I used Zoho Office on Google Drive, similar to Google Docs but seemed a little better. But it may require each to sign up.

3. macrumors member

4. macrumors regular

Me and my friends have been successfully using Google Docs.
    Which part is not working for you?

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I just discovered their successor TitanPad, and I think this will do what I need. They do public docs that can be password protected.

I can't manage to share the document for editing without people being asked to sign in. Apparently it's a known bug (I posted the problem on the google docs forum here). A lot of the people I am collaborating with don't have gmail or google accounts, and I don't want to use anything that requires them to sign up - I'm still working to get them all on board with DropBox (a lot of older folks in the group who have fallen out of technical developments, I need to pick my battles).

----------

Thanks, it looks interesting but would probably require that sign up process for them which I'm trying to avoid.

6. macrumors 68040

zhenya

I would be rather surprised if you found something on the public Internet that allowed people to edit your documents without some sort of sign-up. Otherwise it'd be relatively trivial to abuse. A basic sign-up is a way to verify that you're a real person and actually have the rights to edit this document. That's what most people want.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

TitanPad offers this. I can protect the document with a password to ensure some privacy, but it doesn't require that editors of the document actually register with a service (I registered myself, but others who want to edit don't have to). Apparently it's the same with google docs, you can share a document without having people to sign in - however, I'm having issues making this feature work, I've reported it to google and on their google docs forum they say it's some kind of bug, we're in a dialogue trying to resolve it but so far no luck.