Can anyone recommend a video card for a PC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cr2sh, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Alright, I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about the video cards these days. I've never been much of a gamer and have never had a need for it... I see the new stuff and its all rubbish to me... and I know, this is a mac forums, but I've got no where else to go!

I put together a AMD 64 system (3000+754, 512@3200, 160GB deskstar, XP) and it turns out that the Nvidia TNT2 M64 card that I took out of my old server sucks. I'm not going to use it for any hardcore gaming, maybe pick up WoW or something to play around with, and some photoshop and a few other things... but I don't want any bottle necking. I've got a good system here and I'm prepaired to buy a new card... but which one?

So I'm asking for some recommendations. A decent priced (sub $100?) card that'll run with my system, give me fair performance and is compliant with whatever the new standards are. I need a vga out for the lcd panel I'm using with it... that's about it.

The mobo has 8x AGP and PCI but none of that PCI-X or what have you... again, new is fine but I don't need cutting edge. Can anyone offer me some help?

All the appreciation I can muster for a windoze peecee...

BTW, the machine is so goddamn fast I can't believe it...
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    at there is a $90 dollar 9600xt with 256 megs of ram. Quite good. Check it out.

edit - here is the link
  3. devwild macrumors member

Jun 9, 2004
    Well, newegg is definitely a great place to buy from, that much is true.

If you go with a 9600, I suggest possibly sacrificing a couple percent of speed and get one that is fanless. It's just so nice to have silence if you don't need the ultimate in speed. My G5 and my Window server/htpc, a 2Ghz P4, both sport fanless 9600s. My Desktop PC has a Geforce 5900 with two fans, which is the noisiest thing in the case by a fair margin.

Without PCI-Express (PC's don't generally have PCI-X, PCI-Express is faster/newer), your options are a bit more limited since Nvidia's 6200 cards are still all PCI-Express to my knowlege. If a Leadtek 6200 comes out in AGP before you buy, keep them in mind, Leadtek has been an excelent company for me.

Considering your situation and sub-$100, a 9600 will probably give you the most bang for the buck right now. The newer x600 is a joke, avoid it.

If you play any modern MMORPG like WoW, your video card will be a bottleneck regardless. Despite advances in hardware current games are basically able to use every ounce you can throw at them. MMORPGs are especially demanding because of the huge landscapes, detail, and number of people onscreen.

WoW will be plenty playable on a 9600 at 1024x768, but it looks far far better (higher detail levels, lighting, effects and texture features not supported by the 9600) and plays at much higher resolutions on an ATI X800 or Nvidia 6800. The trick is finding the price point that gives you the most enjoyment. If you don't want to change cards for a couple years, don't be afraid to push yourself to the $150-$200 area, because you may save money in the long run.

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas

Go ATI - great cards, great support, and the *older* cards are excellent value for money.

I think that you'll be hard pressed to get better value for money than the one recommended by jackieonasses.