Can anyone recommend good data recovery software (deleted files) for OS 8.6?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ZildjianKX, May 7, 2004.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

At work I was upgrading an older mac from OS 8.0 to 8.6 and when I was finished copying the preference file from the "previous system folder" I (without thinking) trashed the old system folder and emptied the trash. My main problem is the person's Eudora mailboxes were kept in the system folder... can anyone recommend a piece of software that works in OS 8.6 that will actually restore deleted files?

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Norton Utilities. TechTools Pro. DiskWarrior.

3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I thought TechTools only supported drives that won't boot, and disk warrior was a disk optimizer... and I didn't think the current version of Norton Utilities supported OS 8.6. Help!

4. iKwak macrumors member

Off topic: What was 8.6 operating system called?

5. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Pretty sure it was just called OS 8.6... was introduced at WWDC '99... that doesn't seem like all that long ago.

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

It's codename was Veronica (according to Mactracker), however codenames were not nearly as widely used back then as they have been with Jaguar and Panther, so, as ZildjianKX said, most people just referred to it as Mac OS 8.6.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Where in God's name did you get that one? TechTools allows you to trashed files in a hidden directory, where they remain as intact as your working files. It has been awhile, but in the MacOS 8.6 era, some applications were able to retrieve "deleted" files from this hidden directory without using the TechTools utility. IIRC, this "bug" was "fixed" in TechTools 3.0. At any rate, TechTools definitely worked on the start-up disk.
    Diskwarrior is and always has been a file recovery utility. Its claim to fame is that it recovers files by rebuilding directories. Norton Speed Disk is a disk optimization utility. DiskWarrior is nothing like that.
    Why would you want a MacOS X 10.2 utility to recover MacOS 8.6 disks? However, the current version of Norton doesn't have to support MacOS 8.6. It only has to support the file system that hosts MacOS 8.6. That's HFS+ for computers that shipped with 8.6 and HFS for computers that were upgraded to 8.6 without an update of the file system. The current version of Norton SystemWorks supports HFS+ and HFS. You will have to boot from another disk. However, you would be better off with a MacOS 8.6/9.x- based version of Norton.

8. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

No where on the Alosoft site does it say that diskwarrior can be used to recovery deleted files, just corrupted directories, etc... will it still work for restoring deleted files?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I explained this is my previous post. You went to the Alsoft home page, but were too lazy to click to the DiskWarrior product page. It is explained very well there, but only if you are not too lazy to read.

10. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Don't be such an ass, rude people like you explain why some people have bad perceptions of the mac community. Copy and paste where it says it will recover deleted files, smartass. The site only explains for damaged directory structure and other disk problems, not recovery from deletion.

I posted here asking for help... not to be badgered.

And yes, I'm obviously too lazy to go to the diskwarrior page if I just mentioned I went to the diskwarrior page and it didn't say anything, and you were nice enough to call me lazy and link me to the diskwarrior page, but were too lazy to find me where exactly on the page it says what you claim it does... thanks.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Since you too lazy to read the page yourself, I will honor your request:
    In the next paragraph, Alsoft goes on to say:
    Further down the page, Alsoft bullets the features of DiskWarrior. Bullet Nos. 5 and 6 read:

12. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Lost != deleted necessarily

If my drive is messed up, I've "lost" my files.

So, have you ever used diskwarrior to recover files you have deleted? I've used diskwarrior before, and I've used it to optimize my drive, and I've used it to repair my drive... how do you use it to to recover files you deleted? I hope you're not too lazy to explain... I really want to know, so please elaborate.

13. Doraemon macrumors 6502

True.
    Back then, codenames were still used to ensure that a new development did not become publicly known before its release (and even if, the codename alone didn't give any hints what the products actually was).

Here's an impressive collection of codenames:
    http://www.apple-codenames.com/software

14. pakmenu macrumors newbie

About diskwarrior recovering DELETED files: not specifically

from: http://www.wap.org/journal/diskwarrior3/default.html

quote: After a crash or power outage, run Disk Warrior as insurance to rebuild your disk directories in case some part of your directory structure got lost in the outage. Disk Warrior tries to recover files that are 'lost' because the directory lost track of them – not that you deleted them and have now changed your mind. Disk Warrior 3 is not designed to search for lost files that you deleted from your hard drive.

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

why would you register to post in a thread from 4 years ago? :confused: