Can Apple learn from the mistakes of Xbox 360 launch!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chatin, Dec 4, 2005.

1. chatin macrumors 6502

chatin

eBay has sold more Xbox 360's than most of the authorized supply chain, leading to the speculation that Microsoft made some serious pricing and supply mistakes - and let everyone down, just in time for the holidays!

If new Mactels come out in January, as anticipated, there sould be a more careful supply model, so Apple Stores don't have a back door to Meg Whitman's garage sale!

:)

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Huh? All new Macs go on eBay, but they are never going for 10 times their normal price.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I don't really follow what you're getting at with this.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I doubt that most who buy a new Apple computer after the switch will know the difference or even care what type of processor they have. As long as it is fast and does what they want, they are set. I don't think there will be a huge rush for new computers when they come out. If anything, it may slow down a bit because people will be skeptic about the first intel macs and there performance and reliability. I think the big sales will come from the rev B's.

5. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

It wouldn't happen, because you don't order the XBOX 360's from Microsoft, when you order something from Apple it may say that they are shipping in 1-3 days but they can at any time bumb your order back, you've already paid or ordered your new Mac so you aren't going to go and buy one on eBay for 5x - 10x the retail price. The XBOX 360 situation is all about supply and demand, if you have a product want and the supply is low you can raise the price, companies do it all the time, but with eBay it isn't companies doing it it is individuals, real easy way to get 360 prices back down and that is to have people stop paying the obscene amount, people don't see it as being foolish with their money they see it as having something that their friends don't...hope they enjoy their ramen noodles.

6. chatin thread starter macrumors 6502

chatin

The very nature of the console pricing model pushes down supply. Why would MS supply a ton of units when they are losing money on every sale?

Apple may be able to best this broken model and win some console share back!

Plentiful supply of mactel-minis with an "extreme graphics option" and suite of great game ports!

:D

7. themacmaestro macrumors member

all the ebay sales show is that there were a number of greedy people buying them at the stores, which in turn reduced inventory, and then resold them on ebay, using the rule of supply and demand, to buyers who were to impatient to wait. Therefore, in 2 months they look stupid for spending $1000 when everyone else pays $400 and gets a unit that works!

8. chatin thread starter macrumors 6502

chatin

360 eBay auctions fizzle

What rises like a rocket comes crashing to earth like a stone. Looks like the 360 is going to be a big dud on the gaming landscape.

I have seen several 360 auctions close on eBay for the retail price!

dud
    n.

1. A bomb, shell, or explosive round that fails to detonate.
    2. Informal. One that is disappointingly ineffective or unsuccessful.

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Yea Microsoft is selling the units at a loss.

Then next year, they make their money off all of the software and accessories.

Marketing 101. Very simple

DUH!

10. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

As popular as the mactels are going to be the number of units sold won't be remotely comparable to the xbox 360, nor will the sales pattern. Although this particlar release will probably attract attention from the papers because of the transition it will not be supported by the same level of hype as the xbox. Plus i don't think we'll see any kind of sales campaign because pushing one chip technology whilst using two types just leads to confusion.

More comparable is the sale of the ipod, in particular the nano. Apple handled this pretty well with supply shortages kept to a minimum whilst huge numbers were shipped. However, the mini release was pretty abysmal - widespread shortages and release outside the US was severely delayed to ensure they had enough stock for their main market. It came to Blightly eventually but I remember the one i ordered not coming until the end of august 04 - although some delay resulted from getting it engraved.

So it isn't really a question of whether apple can learn from microsoft but rather the other way around. The secret of course is to announce the product only when it is ready and then having publicity handled by word of mouth through a loyal band of fanatical followers. Cheap + easy.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

And noone would pay 5x or 10x(for the 15'' PB thats 10k or 20k)

or would they?

I think Jobs should release some intel PowerMacs on ebay and see what they go for:p

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Or sell them at the cost it is for you to make them so you don't lose $$$

becuz if i recall MS has lost 4 billion on xBox , thats a lot to make up in SoftWare
    :eek:

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't forget that Sony did this last season with the PSP's and the slim PSTwo. They held back on supply to let demand get higher so everyone would fight for one during the holiday season. Microsoft Im sure knew of the demand and purposely held back the amounts they gave to each store. Apple can not afford to do this as it is make or break and they have no room to toy with the consumer.