Can Apple take Microsoft's perch?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 10, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

spillproof

I don't see this happening anytime soon, at least not in the next 10 years.

I hate to say it, but I fear that Steve Jobs is like Tom Brady, the team sucks and can't do things on their own with out him. So Steve, you better have a plan set out before you die.

3. macrumors 6502

I think you've got this backwards. Microsoft has essentially two successful products and they both depend on IT preferring them over all other products in their class: Windows and Office. The lesson of the last ten years is that IT is becoming increasingly less relevant. People don't need to buy the hardware they recommend or the software, and consumers are tired of dealing with Microsoft headaches. Even now, with Windows 7 out, the basic feeling seems to be that Microsoft is in relatively good shape because 7 doesn't (so far) suck. Hardly a ringing endorsement or good news for their future prospects.

All Apple needs to do to surpass Microsoft is not screw up. If they just hold where they are now, they'll be looking down at a much smaller Microsoft in less than ten years!

4. macrumors 68000

ditzy

I can see Apple growing larger than they are today. I believe that growth will outstrip the market. But taking over as the market leader over Microsoft. Never going to happen.

5. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

provided that Microsoft doesn't screw up...

It will never happen. IT staff know and are used to Windows. Further more, Apple doesn't have a business department. If they are, I've never seen them, and I've purchased a few computers for business. Additionally, their Applecare support sucks when it comes to businesses. Archive and Install is not a solution, nor is telling the end user that their computer must be buggy, but you can not install 10.5.8 on it because you bought it after 10.6 came out.

Lastly, the lack of a tower that is IT department fixable means that any hardware issues require at least a 1-week turnaround to fix. Unacceptable.

So yeah... If Apple doesn't make it into businesses, and Windows keeps improving, I see Apple having a problem, not Microsoft.

6. macrumors 6502

You sound like some one who is new to IT, probably less than ten years. IT used to be very relevant to technology, and even today it's important. Just not nearly as important or influential as it used to be. As that influence decreases, Microsoft will need to come up with products that are successful without IT's help. They've been trying to do that for years and failing.

7. macrumors 6502

Explain how IT is becoming less relevant.

8. macrumors 65816

FX120

Ugh. I hate to imagine a world where Apple was the dominant player as a single source computer manufacturer.

But at the same time, that's why it will (and couldn't) ever happen. Apple would never be willing to give up their integrated hardware/software model.

If they did, all we would end up with is another Microsoft.

9. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Apple won't and doesn't plan on beating Microsoft in the desktop market share war. Steve Jobs has already said that Microsoft won that war in the 90's. Now it is time for Apple to win the mobile device OS war and so far things are looking good.:apple:

10. macrumors 6502a

is apple going to have $400 laptops and desktops?? do we see Fortune 100 companies committing to full apple deployments?

good luck with that, i see MS still on top in 20 years.

11. macrumors newbie

IT is no longer drives the business. The business drives IT.

12. macrumors G4

This view is as naïve as the article linked in the OP. First, Apple and Microsoft have fundamentally different business models. Apple will never take Microsoft's perch because Microsoft's perch is not Apple's goal.

Second—in no way does this guarantee the viability of Microsoft. There is a misconception in fan space that Microsoft is healthy because Microsoft is big. This is not how corporate business works. Corporate health is predicated on growth. Microsoft is tapping around like a blind man in its search for growth areas. It is not having a lot of success identifying growth areas that generate profits. Currently, it is laying off employees. I'm not holding my breath until this situation changes.

13. macrumors 6502

How does $400 junk machines have anything to do with Microsoft remaining on top? It's those cheap machines that are killing companies like Dell. Companies that Microsoft depends on for selling its biggest cash cow: Windows.

I suppose that twenty years ago you saw IBM, Compaq, and DEC remaining key players in the PC manufacturing business today as well.

14. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Ironically Apple doesn't need to produce anything like a $400 PC to beat Microsoft. Up until Windows 7 the only OS that would run on a $399 netbook was Windows XP or Linux and Microsoft gets ony a few dollars in licensing fees for every Netbook running XP compared to about $40-50 for every PC running Windows 7.

The thing that will continue to weaken Microsoft is increasing use of iPhones, Google Docs, Google Wave, Android OS and Cloud based application services all of which are very cheap or free and are new areas that Microsoft is trying to attract customers into with only limited success with its own cloud based services.

15. macrumors 6502

Which basically means the uninformed suits will be making the decisions on tech, not the people who actually know what they are talking about.

16. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

The only way apple will beat microflop is to open there os to the pc Market. This causes two problems. 1, a very driver heavy os that will be buggy live winblows. 2, the little malware/virus people will target osx every which way thy can.

17. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Whereas Apple have none at all in this arena.

18. macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    Love my Macs, but this will never happen as long as Apple refuses to cater for most of the computer market, ie. low-end. If anyone topples Microsoft, it'll probably be Google.

19. macrumors G4

I guess your own point is lost on you. Microsoft relies on massive sales of two software products to a small group of buyers. Apple relies on small sales of a limited array of hardware products to a large number of end users.

The mammals are overtaking the dinosaurs and you are betting on the dinosaurs. Good luck with that.

20. macrumors 603

Google's products can't touch MS in a lot of cases. with Office 2010 you will be able to grab data from a database and do BI functions on your desktop. In the past this required going to your local BI developer and waiting for the report to be written

google wave has gotten pretty bad reviews in some rags. the cloud is another name for the same thing i've heard over the last 10 years or so. in the future everything will live somewhere else, and yet it never happens. personally i think the cloud is a scam made up by the hardware companies to sell more higher margin hardware to companies like Amazon instead of less lower margin hardware to customers like my employer

21. macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

95% of businesses and 90%+ of consumers is a "small group".

Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.

22. macrumors 65816

FX120

Wha wha wha wha what?!?!

23. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Interesting. Have you got any links to those reports on Google Wave?

24. macrumors 603

25. macrumors 68020