Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
We are getting close to cutting the cord, and one of our TVs will only have an ATV3 connected to it. Is it possible to use the ATV remote to power on/off our Samsung TV and adjust its volume? That's all we really need!

Last edited:

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
We are getting close to cutting the cord, and one of our TVs will only have an ATV3 connected to it. Is it possible to use the ATV remote to power on/off our Samsung TV and adjust its volume? That's all we really need!
Nope.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
its a horrible remote, get a logitech harmony and it will be the only remote you will ever need

I have a Harmony for our more complicated media setup. I think it would definitely be overkill in this particular instance though. Oh well.

----------

Not exactly, however you can probably use your TV's remote to control the Apple TV. See this article:

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/30/how-to-control-apple-tv-with-a-third-party-remote/

That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

applemike68

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I have a Harmony for our more complicated media setup. I think it would definitely be overkill in this particular instance though. Oh well.

----------

That's not a bad idea. Thanks!

Learning my new panasonic remote worked great except for the menu button, other than that thanks for the tip

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
Learning my new panasonic remote worked great except for the menu button, other than that thanks for the tip

I had the same issue. Realized I already had AV1 setup for something else. I just deleted it and used AV2 and it worked flawlessly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I remember hearing at the Apple Event that it was going to be possible to control the TV power and Volume.
Perhaps, not as a Universal Remote, but instead using some special functionality built into the HDMI-ARC port.
Modern sets should have such port.

See this link for more information: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/

ARC is just "Audio Return Channel". I think what you mean is CEC. That will basically make it so if you turn the ATV on, the input will change to the ATV input and also power on the TV. Not sure if it has CEC, but I think that is what you mean.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
ARC is just "Audio Return Channel". I think what you mean is CEC. That will basically make it so if you turn the ATV on, the input will change to the ATV input and also power on the TV. Not sure if it has CEC, but I think that is what you mean.
Probably... All I can say is that it the capability was mentioned at the event last Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.