Can AppleTV access a shared iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Griggi, Dec 27, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

I do plan to buy an Apple TV 3rd generation, however I do have the following question:

Can the AppleTV access a shared iTunes library?

NOT a home sharing library - a shared library - please don't mix this up. Sharing your iTunes library can be found in iTunes -> Preferences -> Sharing -> "Share my library on my local network" (see screenshot).
    I haven't found a clear answer because either people mix up these things or they just say that home sharing works. Can somebody please verify this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
    Christian

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

No, it can't. You must be using Home Sharing for an Apple TV (running the stock OS) to see the library.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply!

But this kinda sucks - I can't imagine/I don't want to run at least one PC all the time I want to watch something on my Apple TV (I don't even have my whole video/music library on any device in my home except on my NAS). I thought I could stream anything wirelessly from my NAS to the AppleTV...

4. macrumors 68000

If you have a smart TV you don't need the apple TV. You can run a DLNA server on the NAS and connect to it using a client on the TV. Some of the NAS servers like Synology also can run a Plex server and LG and Samsung TV's both run a plex client.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I do own a Samsung TV that can access the DLNA server on my NAS. However my Samsung TV can not read videos that I bought in the iTunes store (I bought every season of HIMYM :S) because they are copy-protected or whatever. I also tried to convert the bought videos with Handbrake into another format but it won't work due the copy-protection.

This was actually the reason why I wanted to buy the Apple TV.

6. macrumors 6502a

Most items you buy through the iTunes Store can be played by ATV2/3 directly from the internet. You can stream them from the iTunes store to the ATV without having a local copy on your home network.

I rarely play anything out of my local iTunes library anymore, because I find it easier to browse to my purchased items in the "Movies" or "TV" menus on ATV.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this possible for items I've already bought?

Because that would be sufficient for me :)

Edit: Ok, I've checked this in iTunes from my MacBook. I can only see music, apps and books that I bought - but where are my videos? :D

8. macrumors 6502

My purchased videos appear when I click on "Purchased" on the right side of the main iTunes Store window.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just found out that iCloud is limited to music, apps and books in Germany (i am from Germany, by the way).

So I will wait - I read something about licensing issues between Apple and the movie companies - maybe streaming your purchased videos will be possible in near future in Germany :D

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this topic!

10. macrumors 6502

Viel Glück.