Can Applworks open a PPT?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cursor, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Does anybody know if Appleworks can open a PowerPoint presentation? Or would I need to get Keynote to do that? My art department just got Appleworks for minor Word/Spreadsheet/Presentation tasks. I received a PPT presentation today and tried to open it, but was unable to. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Re: Can Applworks open a PPT?

You'll have to either pay for Keynote (which can read and write PowerPoint presentations) or build the presentation in Appleworks, because Appleworks can't read PowerPoint presentations. Sorry...:rolleyes:
    There may be cheaper software out there that would work. I reccommend checking www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com for any freeware/shareware that might work for you. Good luck. :)

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

4. DNH macrumors member

openoffice will do it. Although there is not a native cocoa version yet, there is a version that uses the X11 server and is fairly easy to install and setup. http://www.openoffice.org

5. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Yes, fairly easy, but quite time consuming - I had to try several times to download the installer, and took several steps and nearly half an hour (boo hoo, I know. . . ) to install all the various components. But it still was definitely worth the effort. Yup, it's not pretty (it looks like Windows 98 era MS Office) but it works nearly seemlessly (I've had some problems with tables) with current versions of MS Office. I have Keynote though, so I haven't tried to open a .ppt in OOo, but it should work. Good luck!

6. Cursor thread starter macrumors 6502

Cursor

Thanks guys. Looks like we will probably be getting Keynote. Thanks for all of the responses-they were a big help.