Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-CH--L

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
Hi,
one annoying and inconvenient "feature" of ATV2 (compared to ATV1) is that it needs a running Mac/iTunes for streaming of media (esp. photos).
So it would be great if ATV2 could wake up my MacBook from sleeping so that I can watch photos on my HDTV with less hassle.
Most probably this is not the fact - or is this possible?

Cheers,
Michael

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hi,
one annoying and inconvenient "feature" of ATV2 (compared to ATV1) is that it needs a running Mac/iTunes for streaming of media (esp. photos).
So it would be great if ATV2 could wake up my MacBook from sleeping so that I can watch photos on my HDTV with less hassle.
Most probably this is not the fact - or is this possible?

Cheers,
Michael

I don't think the ATV can do this, however, other users have reported success with getting Airport Express BaseStation to do this. Apparently there is a wake on network activity command (or something similar). From what people here have posted, it sounds like older AEBS may not work well with this feature, but the newer ones do. I haven't tried this myself.

jeb2u

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
I don't have a MacBook, but I do have a Mac desktop. One of my big complaints so far is that when the ATV2 and Mac are both asleep, I can't get my ATV2 to wake up (it won't wake my Mac either). I'm running a 2009 TC as my router and I've enabled the wake for network access. Hopefully some others are having better luck than I am.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you choose to sleep your Macbook with the lid open and a power cord attached, it will wake on demand over ethernet just like a Mac desktop.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I don't have a MacBook, but I do have a Mac desktop. One of my big complaints so far is that when the ATV2 and Mac are both asleep, I can't get my ATV2 to wake up (it won't wake my Mac either). I'm running a 2009 TC as my router and I've enabled the wake for network access. Hopefully some others are having better luck than I am.

Are you connected by ethernet? I think there are other requirements if you want to do it over wifi. My ethernet connected desktop works great with wake on demand. Someone just posted a support page explaining what is required for any setup.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you connected by ethernet? I think there are other requirements if you want to do it over wifi. My ethernet connected desktop works great with wake on demand. Someone just posted a support page explaining what is required for any setup.

Yeah in the support page it will tell you where to look to see if your computer is eligible for wake on wireless, compared to wake on ethernet, or both.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
i read a little on this and i think to get the bonjour wake on network feature, you have to be running osx 10.6 along with an AEBS with the latest firmware.

my imac will wake if im using the remote app in my iphone, and then if i turn off home sharing on my ATV2 and then back on, I can see my itunes library.

kind of a lame work around, but better than nothing I guess.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
This works with an AirPort express.

ALl i did was turn on wake on demand on my MacMini and iMac and when they are both in sleep mode just turning on the Apple Tv with the remote will wake both computers.

SonicStomp

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
I have a new iMac connected to a TC via wifi and the new apple tv connected to the TC via Ethernet.

Starting with both my atv and iMac asleep, if I wake the atv it wakes normally but the iMac remains asleep. If I then select my iTunes library under computers it attempts to connect and then returns to the top menu screen. If I then select the iTunes library again then - hey presto, it has woken the iMac and I am in business. I have my iMac set for wake on network access and I have the latest firmware and software available.

In sum - works perfectly.

TomUSA

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
I am glad I found this post...

I have the same problem. I am using Linksys, Mac mini, and ATV2. I need to use the same workaround as what EvilC5 suggested.

Anyway... This kinda proves that Apple can make ATV2 to be able to wake sleeping mac (with 3rd party router),... but they chose not to??

thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.