Can Automator do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grahamtearne, Sep 28, 2006.

1. grahamtearne macrumors regular

Right I have set up an Automator script to download images from a website (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/michael.tearne/holiday/index.html) because several of these I cannot find (they are on CD somewhere).

I set it up to download from the safari URL onto desktop then for iphoto to import them and delete original file. It worked, it was the first time I actually used automator and it looks great. However when I viewed them back in iPhoto it only downloaded the thumbnails, is there anyway of being able to make it download the higher res pic that you get when you click on the image on the webiste. (these are poor quality pics for the internet but they are better than nothing incase I cannot find my CD containing the originals.).

Thanks for your help.

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

you want to change the option in the Get Image URLs action to from "On this page" to "Linked from this page". that will work, assuming the links are to the actual image files.

3. grahamtearne thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm ive already tried that, didnt work, must be how the site was designed i guess. ahh well, thanks anyway.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

right. a lot of times the links that thumbnails are pointing to are not actually the .jpgs themselves, but another html (or PHP or whatever) page that has the full image in it. in this case i'll use an extra action with a little custom AppleScripting involved which essentially does this:

1. get link URLs from this page
    2. open every page in Safari
    3. get image URLs from current web page
    4. download URLs
    5. close safari window

and it repeats until all the Safari windows have closed.