Can Bluetooth 2 power a monitor?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Beck446, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Beck446 macrumors regular

I'm curious if Bluetooth 2.0 has the potential to power a LCD wirelessly. B2.0 is supposed to be 3x faster than 1.0. Any ideas? Or will we have to wait for B3.0?

Of note is the fact that, according to Bluetooth website, 2.0 can stream cd quality audio. Will we at least see Bluetooth speakers?

2. AstroManLuca macrumors member

Absolutely impossible. A display requires a huge amount of data transfer, and bluetooth doesn't even come close. BT1.0 has speeds of 1 megabit or less - compare this to 12 megabits for USB 1.0 and 400 megabits for Firewire. BT2.0 may be 3x faster, but it's still extremely slow.

Bluetooth may eventually be a useful way of replacing USB peripherals, if the various companies offering BT products pull their heads out of their collective ass and settle on a single universally compatible BT standard. But even then there's no way it would be able to drive a display. If/when we do see wireless displays, they will use an entirely different standard. Bluetooth was never designed to handle large amounts of data transfer.

3. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Absolutely impossible. Bluetooth is wireless. Monitors still need more power than you can transmit at home (without an FCC license)

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I can only start to think of the security issues of a wireless screen!

"Presenting the New Apple 50" Wireless Cinema Display with builtin 144-bit encrypted BT 5, $5,999 - power cord not included". :eek: :p

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I'll have you know I fell out of my chair laughing. :D

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errrm... yes it can (or could if it were so inclined). Think about it, if it can transfer digital video...

You can get a video adaptor for USB2.0 for PC. http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIUV100.htm at 1024x768, 16 bit colour. The bandwidth required for a monitor is a factor of screen resolution, colour depth and refresh rate.

You can also do Timbuktu over a telephone modem at 28.8 kbs, which proves the concept of a low bandwidth monitor screen, as long as you have a processor at each end of the transmission to encode/decode.

Now even granted that the original poster meant "transmit video screens in real time" over Bluetooth rather than literally "power" a monitor, Bluetooth would be pretty limited in resolution and refresh rate and probably unusable.

8. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

I don't think Bluetooth can get into the USB market once WUSB is announced.

the transfer rate will be something like 480Mbps.