Can Bush Save Arafat?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by michaello, Sep 15, 2003.

1. michaello macrumors newbie

If you have an idea that relates, give it a go ...

- Michaello

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think the question should state, Does Bush want to save Arafat? My answer is no. gw & co. have made it perfectly clear that Arafat is persona non grata and they are very upset that Europe has been meeting with him.

Personally, I think Sharon and Arafat should be locked in the same prison cell and the key should be thrown away. Neither of them is interested in peace only their own personal power. It is pathetic to watch two such hideous men do everything to ensure that peace will never come to the middle east.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I don't know. I don't think Sharon is completetly illogical in his actions in response to the attitudes of the Palestinians.

If the Palestinians had a country, and that country was attacking Isreal in the way that the Palestinians do, no one would say they were unjustified in what they are doing.

The thing I try to keep in mind is that the Palestinians have been in a state of constant war with Isreal, ever since Isreal was created.

Never has the Arab world accepted Isreal or given it any sense that it was safe within its own borders. In fact, they have done everything in their power to make sure they aren't safe.

Michael Moore suggested in his book Stupid White Men that the way for the Palestinians to achieve peace and get a country is to practice non-violent resistance. The flip side to that though is that when they do not do that, and they do bomb civilians and issue rhetoric that says things like there shall be no Isreal, then honestly, how can Isreal treat them as equals? How can Isreal take the leap of faith that giving them what they say they want will make their hatred of the Jews end?

Isreal could pack up its tent, give the Arabs all of Isreal, and move to South America, and the Arabs would still hate them. At least, it certainly seems like they would.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think an even bigger problem is that a Palestinian state, particularly a divided one, is not going to be an economically viable entity. Unfortunately, a two-state solution is the only politically viable outcome, but can a Palestinian state that small survive economically?

More on topic though, here's an interesting article that talks about the reasons why Isreal might want to off Arafat.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I gotta give that ugly piece of trash credit for one thing: He has proven himself the world's most skill manipulator at playing both ends against the middle, faking out the west as he's kept his murderous terrorists busy killing Jews while talking of his desire for peace.

Doubt me? Think of the date of the origin of the charter of the PLO and the "Palestinian State", and then look at how long it took before the clause about killing all the Jews was removed. For all practical purposes, that's really "Arafat's Charter".

'Rat

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

:D At first I wasn't sure which ugly piece of trash you were refering to.

7. michaello thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool - I guess this thread doesn't suck, afterall.

In the news today:

"UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The United States vetoed a U.N. resolution Tuesday that would have demanded Israel halt threats to expel Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat.

Eleven Security Council members voted for the resolution and three members abstained. The U.S. veto killed the resolution.

In the Middle East, chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erakat said: "This is a sad day for the United Nations. I hope the U.S. veto will not be interpreted by Israel as a license to kill Yasser Arafat."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/09/16/mideast/index.html

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, actually those Israelis are sneaky. Look how they lured all those Arab Boy Scouts into getting lost while merely on innocent hikes and field trips, back in 1967 and 1973.

And putting all those civilians in the paths of guys just doing their daily work of carrying some high explosives around--and then claiming evil intent when the explosives accidentally exploded.

You just can't trust those Israelis...

'Rat