Can connect to internet with AirPort Extreme card

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Aug 26, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

We are having difficulties connecting to our wireless Netgear router with my dad's iBook and AirPort Extreme card. I did that Airport extreme setup thing, and it did some stuff and worked. But we rebooted the iBook and now can not connect to the internet. How does one connect to the internet with the Airport Extreme card?

Specs for iBook: G4, 256MB ram, 10.3.5.

[EDIT] Sorry title should say "Can't connect to internet with AirPort Extreme card"

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

System Prefs -> Network -> Airport

Is it connected? If not, you'll want to connect it. Also, you will want to make sure your router is configured correctly. If it's a wireless router, then make sure it's connected to your broadband connection via the router first. If it's being used as an AP you need to set it for that first.

Also I'd recommend you activate the Airport menu bar if you haven't yet.

3. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Thanks for your reply. It's really weird, I went to System prefs and network then checked the Airport status thing and it says its not connected to a network. I went to try to connect to the network but couldn't find the network on there in the Menu bar. (although it was on there before but no more) Sad thing is my dad set up a wireless connection on his Windows laptop and it worked in 5 minutes :mad: But the iBook just can't seem to connect, or we just don't know how to do it right.

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Is Airport actually on?

5. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea it's on. It was working about 45 minutes ago, then we restarted the computer and now nothing. He just installed the card today (it didn't come with the iBook, not sure if that matters). Also, I remember the signal, when we had one, wasn't too strong I don't think and the Netgear router is only about 10 feet away in the same room. What are the normal steps to access the wireless network with Airport?

Thanks again for your help (and anyone else to :))

[EDIT] The small ball for Airport in System Preferences is orange.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

If you have Airport on and you can't find the network you can try clicking on Other and typing in the Name and Password for the Network and see if it connects

Also make sure that in the Network Settings/Airport that you have set the computer to go to a specific network and put the information there, doing this will connect you back to the network automatically if you restart your Mac or if you put it to sleep and wake it up again :)

7. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I've gotten similar problems when I first started working with my wireless network...

Make sure the security prefs are off, and there's no interference near your wireless AP... mine actually gets cut off because there's a 900 mhz phone nearby... I'll have to think more about this though.

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Can I somehow detect if there is a network signal available or do I need to know the Name and Password first to see if a Wireless signal is available at all ?

Thanks
    LaForge

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

My friend had a netgear router and the dick who set it up put "let no other computers join this network" She lives in the middle of nowhere so securitys not really an issue!

My point is: check out the routers settings to be safe. Also do you have wep or wpa on? if so you might have to put the password in as a hex number not the word (asci?) version. Also if you get it working click always connect to this network.

gope i make sense? :p

10. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There are programs out there that let you find Wireless Networks but this is done by the OS anyway and you will see the networks in the Airport tab, there is the option (definitely with the Aiport Base Station, not sure about other routers) to hide the network. This is the time when you need to know the Name and Password in order to gain access but also where you are able to access it since you don't know where the signal is strongest (or even where it is weakest :p )

It was only a suggestion to see if it would connect to the Network

Most of the time however the Network will be visible so you should see the Network Name in your Airport Tab

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks. I just got a Airport card for my iBook and wanted to know if I can see Networks if they are near, e.g. at Starbucks.

12. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Places like Starbucks are open so you will have no problems :)

These invisible networks are rare, as I mentioned I only know of the Airport Base Station to have this feature and that will be used mainly by home users who only have Macs (can't seem to get my PCs to logon to the network with this feature on)

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks, just got a airport card from a reseller. Its new. http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0408airportupdate.html

Unfortunatly I can't try it, but I will at a public place.

Cheers

14. lowdown macrumors newbie

Setting up network

I need some advice as I'm planning to purchase hardware. I currently have a PowerBook G3 with Firewire and a Sony Vaio Laptop. I am planning to purchase a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router to join the wireless world. What type of wireless card (Airport Extreme?) would be most appropriate to link my PowerBook wirelessly to this router?

15. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Which Powerbook G3?

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

To scan for WiFi networks in the area, use MacStumbler.
    www.MacStumbler.com
    See if that picks up your network. It might be interesting if it does.

17. lowdown macrumors newbie

I have the PowerBook G3 (FireWire) which came out in late 1999 through to the end of 2000 (400 mhz version) codenamed PISMO

18. lowdown macrumors newbie

I have the PowerBook G3 (FireWire) which came out in late 1999 through to the end of 2000 (400 mhz) codenamed PISMO

19. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

For those you can get the older Airport cards for Wireless internet (so I believe from Apple's support docs; I'll be trying it later this week on my mom's Piz).

20. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

two thoughts:

first, are you sure the antenna is plugged in all the way? i've heard of people having trouble with this, as the antenna wire can be stubborn and seem to be plugged in, but not be.

second, you can't just "get on" the wifi at most starbucks. its a pay to surf service, which means that you cant get on a network, but not the internet till you register and pay to do so. i suppose you could test your ability to geton a network though