Can CRTs give you headaches?

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Oct 4, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I've been getting headaches for the last couple of days that seem to hurt the most when I look at my screen.
    My mom has also started using the wood stove (the smell of burning wood has always irritated me) around the same time as these headaches started showing up.
    I'm wondering which one started it and what the hell I can do about it.

Anyone?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im sure that CRTs could give you headaches, but unless it is a CRT that you havn't used before or if you have always gotten headaches around CRTs then it is probably the stove. I don't know what I would do in your position though. Contact your local position.... I never thought I would hear myself say those words...

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

It's a 15" Sony HMD-A100 that I bought off of eBay about a year ago. It's never given me any trouble (headache or otherwise) until recently.
    I though it might be the monitor cuz it hurts more when I look at it for awhile.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My peecee monitor at work gives me headaches and makes my eyes hurt... the refresh rate is very low and i'm actually worried about it triggering a seizure again... there are times i can actually see it flickering...

never had the problem on a mac tho. i know that sounds biased but it's true. Well wait, i guess on my SE i used to get headaches...

:)
    pnw

5. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I think that's because (on the iMacs at least) the monitors have like a 110 Hz refresh rate.:eek:
    May be the same for other ones as well.
    I just adjusted mine from 60 to 75 Hz. So far it feels a bit better, but the fire in the stove has also gone down.:)

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Usually my eyes hurt if I look at a CRT monitor/TV close up for a minute. I could stare a few centimeters from my LCD for a few minutes and never get any intense pain.

Before a few months ago the PC monitors at class flickered back and forth so greg damn much you could barely avoid it. That was so f**king annoying. To make matters worse, at HS there are other PC monitors with such a high greg damn resolution (1024x768) that:
    A: I got sore eyes just by looking at the monitor,
    B: I could see my hand move back and forth in front of me in front of the screen in a sound wave pattern, and
    C: Those things are so f**king bright that they make an unlit classroom appear as day.

7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

75hz?! :eek:
    I can't stand anything less then 90. I actually read a good article a while back that monitor refresh rates are actually training our eyes to more sensitive in detecting movement.

8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Never mind. I just figured out that it can go to 100Hz.
    My head's feeling MUCH better now.
    :cool:

9. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Just food for thought.... CRT's are detrimental to your health, if you stare at them a long period of time;)

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm just surprised you actually had it at 60Hz for awhile there! No wonder... I can't get my old G4 17" CRT studio display to refresh more than 85Hz. It goes up to 100Hz but the image is all distorted in the center of the screen (way too small).

If I remember correctly, this studio display will support up to 1024x768 at 85Hz, and nothing more. Ahhhh, someday...

11. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

12. xelterran macrumors 6502

You could try get one of thos PC screensheild things - i think they reduce glare but ur computer will look butt-ugly :rolleyes: Other option of course is an LCD :)

13. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

CRTs used to give me headaches ALL the time but wood stoves do a far better job at that for me.

How does it work with LCDs that they do not show refresh rates? Do they have a different system of displaying or can you just not change the rate???

14. whitegold macrumors member

Headaches

Headaches are usually caused by low refresh rates. In PCs, particularly, getting high refresh rates at high resolutions is a combination of video card, monitor, and graphics drivers. It can be tricky.

Apple have always used good monitors (often sonys) and set the resolution and refresh properly.

Most PC people don't know that you can turn it above 800x600.

King Cobra mentioned 1024 x 768 as being too high a resolution. Are you mental? I can't work below 1280x1024, and more than that is better. 1024 is pretty much standard now. There aren't many monitors left that can't do it, PC or Mac. Unless you have vision problems (or your monitor can't support the refresh) you really should turn your resolution up if you can (not sure how easy that is on a mac..) for professional use. The amount of difference in productivity and usefulness is huge.

Oh, and most people don't get headaches from LCD monitors. They do have a refresh, and I think it's actually fixed, and quite low (60 or something) but the way it works is different in some way and isn't a problem. Or something.

Though personally I hate LCD monitors, so I haven't really looked into the technicalities.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>King Cobra mentioned 1024 x 768 as being too high a resolution. Are you mental?

Nope. I find 800 x 600 for my computer satisfactory for my needs. I sit about half a meter away from my 15 inch monitor +/- and 1024 x 768 is not necessary for me.

>I can't work below 1280x1024, and more than that is better.

I rebut your statement above with a personal opinion, not in relation to anyone else's opinions, and you ask if I am mental. I'm starting to wonder why I haven't asked the same question. :rolleyes:

>Unless you have vision problems (or your monitor can't support the refresh) you really should turn your resolution up if you can (not sure how easy that is on a mac..) for professional use.

Ease of use: System Preferences > Monitors > [Adjust to an applicable screen size of choice that Mac OS X can adjust to.]

Last time I checked, I had perfect 20/20 vision. I choose not to use anything higher, because I like how smooth the text on the screen can get. It may appear blurry at first to someone using the max. res. on their monitor right now, but I find it very easy to get used to. Again, my opinion.

>Though personally I hate LCD monitors, so I haven't really looked into the technicalities.

Maybe I should have been more specific with my previous post. So I'll state it here. I'm using an LCD monitor, not a CRT.

I am assuming that you were trying to rebut my points in terms of using a CRT for a computer. FYI: The only time I have to use a CRT computer monitor would be the PC at class, my iMac in Maine, or my father's huge 21 inch CRT.

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have a solution

Latelly I have been using After Effect a lot, as I started tu use a lot of tracks I had to increase the resolution of the monitor to be able to visualize them all. Now, before that I started to feel eyes hurted, that is caused becuse of the stress in the iris and the eye in general.

The solution:

Even it sounds corney it works fine, every five minutes or so (when you start to feel something) take a 5 minutes breake and look at something very far away, the landscape, the clouds. That helps to relax the muscles of the eye and that way you can continue working for a few more minutes at a time.

Do never force your view, that can end up in "miopia" (I do not remember the word in english).

Something else, be carefull with the brightnes of your monitor, the brighter the worst.

The point is not trying to force your view, take breakes. The frequency of the monitor has little to do with that most of the times.