Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
He had to look for it...

jama.ama-assn.org/current.dtl

Chocolate and Blood Pressure in Elderly Individuals With Isolated Systolic Hypertension
Dirk Taubert; Reinhard Berkels; Renate Roesen; Wolfgang Klaus
JAMA. 2003;290:1029-1030.

Flavan-3-ols
Christian Heiss; André Dejam; Petra Kleinbongard; Tankred Schewe; Helmut Sies; Malte Kelm
JAMA. 2003;290:1030-1031.

For those who have subscriptions, no free abstracts for these reports.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
This was posted in your other thread but yes.

'A Jeremiah Bornemann Study finds Eating Well Balanced Meals will help you lower Cancer, Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and other Major Dieases'

Gimme a break.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Ha, all these years of eating dark chocolate...people said I was crazy, but I shall prove them all wrong as I am eating my dark chocolate at their funerals!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it makes sense. there are several other things that i think are actually good for a person, in moderate to large doses, beyond the red wine and chocolate of late. for one, i think salt/sodium is a very important mineral and that people who are on low-sodium diets are actually doing damage to a lot of their bodies. i've been saying it for years, and a couple of years ago doctors finally came out and said that salt might not be detrimental as we once thought.

the other one, of course, lobster. no reasons, i just like it, and want my HMO to subsidize it.

pnw

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Ha, all these years of eating dark chocolate...people said I was crazy, but I shall prove them all wrong as I am eating my dark chocolate at their funerals!

LMAO! That was cruel, I like it.

Go Chocolate Mousse! :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I was joking when I mentioned this yesterday in the red wine thread....;)

Very cool, and I had a couple pieces last night of that organic dark chocolate from Trader Joes, with some red wine, mmmmm

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I should have mentioned when I go to World Market for a few bottles that I usually pick up a bar or two of dark chocolate...lots of imported stuff...

:D

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
EVERYTHING now a days is both good and bad for you. might as well just eat whatever you feel like.

the one the that is bad for you is all the crap they put in our food to make it last longer. the chemicals they put into fruit to keep them ripe, the processed crap we eat all the time. when none of this existed there was no cancer and a lot less heart disease.

they've said eggs and red meat are bad for you. well then how come all the farmers who eat eggs and bacon in the morning and steak at night all live to be 80-90. i'll tell you...cause its fresh food, they get it straight from the ground or cow or chicken or whatever. but by the time it gets to the rest of us theres nothing good in it anymore.

they say that when you pick a corn cob its nutritional value decreases 30% every hour

if you want to be healthy the best thing you can do is grow a garden, not only is it 1,000 times healthier but its cheaper too.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It sounds like eyelikeart and Mr. Anderson are all set to maintain there healthy heart. I remember a previous study also showing the heart healthy qualities fo dark chocolate. You only need about 2 pieces a day to obtain the desired results.

A reason to still remember the fruits and vegetables: At the same time, Heller points out, "Polyphenols are found in fruits and vegetables with the same if not more health-promoting qualities."

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Can Dark Chocolate Halt Heart Trouble?

I don't know, but I'll gladly volunteer for any study that aims to find out. ;)

yarowe

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2003
Right here
Originally posted by howard
EVERYTHING now a days is both good and bad for you. might as well just eat whatever you feel like.

they've said eggs and red meat are bad for you. well then how come all the farmers who eat eggs and bacon in the morning and steak at night all live to be 80-90. i'll tell you...cause its fresh food, they get it straight from the ground or cow or chicken or whatever. but by the time it gets to the rest of us theres nothing good in it anymore.

if you want to be healthy the best thing you can do is grow a garden, not only is it 1,000 times healthier but its cheaper too.

I agree with you howard--the key is moderation. All things in moderation--anything in absence or excess is detrimental. Take water for instance. Too little, and you can have many problems (ie. Death). Too much, and you can complicate matters for your kidneys if you aren't careful.

Same concept goes for chocolate, wine, cheese, etc.

What you are missing is the exercise to accompany the diet. The farmers that eat meat and live to be 80-90 are doing so b/c they are highly efficient fuel machines. They need so much protein because of the manual labor--baleing hay, milking cows, fixing machinery, etc. Exercise is a critical variable in this equation.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Since the chemical is in the cocoa, just make sure you're not eating British chocolate. A friend told me a while ago that Britain allows oxblood as a substitute for cocoa in chocolate :eek: ...

I'll stick to German and Swiss chocolate, thank you.l

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA

the one the that is bad for you is all the crap they put in our food to make it last longer. the chemicals they put into fruit to keep them ripe, the processed crap we eat all the time. when none of this existed there was no cancer and a lot less heart disease.

they say that when you pick a corn cob its nutritional value decreases 30% every hour

The part about farmers putting stuff on fruits is not true. My dad grows grapes for a living, and he uses no preservatives. They don't go bad for about 2 weeks!

We know a lot of farmers also (grape, date, orange, lemon, watermellon, lettuce) and there aren't any chemicals bad for you that go on any of the fruits.

About eating steak, eggs, etc. I totally agree. I personally dont eat eggs much, and when I do, its usually just the egg whites for protein. We usually get our meat at a local meat market where they cut it fresh, its damn good!

Most of the bad stuff is in packaged items, such as Chips, Packaged Chicken, Sodas, Cookies, etc.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by MacAztec
The part about farmers putting stuff on fruits is not true. My dad grows grapes for a living, and he uses no preservatives. They don't go bad for about 2 weeks!

We know a lot of farmers also (grape, date, orange, lemon, watermellon, lettuce) and there aren't any chemicals bad for you that go on any of the fruits.

actually i was never to sure about those fruits but i know that a lot of apple farms will pick there apples before they are ripe and put a chemical on them just before they ship them out so that they ripen in just a few days and then stay that way for a long time. ....how good for you can that be?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
My grandparents grow oranges and grapefruits here and never add anything to them. I can't imagine putting any chemicals on the things I'd eat, it just doesn't sit well with me. Oranges never last long enough for me to worry about them going bad, anyway. There's nothing like true fresh squeezed Florida orange juice, it just tastes so good--especially with a little key lime juice.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
actually i was never to sure about those fruits but i know that a lot of apple farms will pick there apples before they are ripe and put a chemical on them just before they ship them out so that they ripen in just a few days and then stay that way for a long time. ....how good for you can that be?

The chemical is most likely Etherol. It is not bad for you, and it is totally natural. Fruits give off etherol gas when they rot, and it causes other fruits to ripen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.