Can DVD Player crop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a DVD which contains 16:9 content with the black bars added to made it 4:3 (I believe that this is called letterboxing). While that's acceptable on a 4:3 display, it's a pain on my iMac because DVD Player adds black bars to the sides, so I end up with a "window" in the middle of the screen. Is there some way to get DVD Player to crop the bars off the original content so that it fills the screen?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I highly doubt it.

However, if you view the movie in windowed mode (not full screen) you may be able to expand the window larger than your display and then re-center it so that the move takes up almost the whole screen. You will probably have brushed metal showing somewhere but the picture will be bigger.

3. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I've had this issue in the past. An easy, though not ideal solution is to turn on the screen zoom in universal access. Command+option+8 to toggle it on or off, then command+option+'=' to zoom in, command+option+'-' to zoom out. See the Universal Access panel in System Preferences if confused.

Or you could rip it with Handbrake, which would crop the file for you.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think I'll just stick to VLC for now. I plan to rip the DVD eventually, but I'm waiting for the new iPod first so I don't need to re-rip in whatever format it uses.

Thanks anyway :)

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Go to DVD Player's Window menu and select Video Zoom. You can choose one of the widescreen presets from the pop-up menu or use the Width and Height controls to dial in just what you need.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member