Can DVD Studio Pro import vob files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by zen, May 11, 2006.

1. zen macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2003
    I've encountered a weird problem.

I've got some DVD content as video_ts folders, filled with the usual vob files etc.

At the moment, I've been opening the vob files in Mpeg Streamclip, demuxing them to m2v and aif, then just adding those to my DVD Studio Pro project.

This works fine, but this morning I tried this and DVDSP got about 20% into muxing one of the assets when it stopped with the error "video bitrate too high". Which is bizzare, because the assets came from a DVD originally???

Anyway, I'm away from that computer at the moment so I can't actually just try and import the vob into DVDSP. But can DVDSP import them? It does seem a bit silly that I have a nice, encoded, muxed file which I then have to split using Streamclip, simply for DVDSP to mux them together again.

I guess if for some reason this file won't mux with DVDSP, I'll use Streamclip to convert it to a DV, then use Compressor to re-encode. But that's a bit of a long way round...

Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. giffut macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2003
    Don´t ...

... use the demuxx mpeg2/aiff feature from MPEG Streamclip, because the soundfile is then transcoded into aiff, which has a way too high bitrate and unnecessarily consumes too much resources on your dvd project.

Second, you can´t just pick those vobs on the dvd itself.

Use a software called "Yade X" to get the complete file in one piece on your harddrive and to demuxx it into its elementary streams. In my opinion it´s the best DVD extractor around - as it also demuxxes perfectly anything regarding DVD content:

Do never ever use AIFF as sound file for DVD projects, you just loose 1.5 MBit bitrate and it consumes way too much file space. You always have to add the video bitrate and the sound bitrate of your dvd prject. Most dvd players stall around 8 to 9 MBit. Let´s say, your video asset has 7Mbit. Adding aiff makes it 8.5 mbit for the dvd, which is already close to the limit for most dvd players. To save compatibility, try not to get higher than 7.5 mbit inlcuding sound.

Use MPEG1/MPEG2 audio or AC3, as it´s roughly 1/7 compared to AIFF. FFMPEG can encode mpeg audio (1 or 2), DVD studio does ac3.