Can FCE or FCP or DVD Pro do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ziwi, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I was curious about transfering some laserdisc's to DVD. I can easily do this by just reading in the movies and then turning them around and burning them. But the question revolves around the special features of the laserdisc's - they may in some cases have dual audio tracks - one for the movie and one for the director's or other's commentary - how can this be transferred successfully without doing the unthinkable - reading the movie in 2x once with the movie audio and once with the commentary - there has to be an easy way to get all the data one time.
    So does FCE or FCP support multiple audio tracks that are switchable so one can get that dual effect?

Has anyone ever done this? How did you do it?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Unfortuately, you're asking for something your laser disc player cannot handle. It can only put out one of the audio tracks at a time. So, if you care about the special fetures of the disc, you will have to capture them once for each feature.

I don't care about most special features so that won't be an issue for me. You might want to consider buying DVDs (where possible) instead of all the effort of getting the laser disc transferred properly. I do know that in some cases, I've been able to find some of them in the $5 DVD bin.

Of course, I know some of the stuff that was available on laser disc isn't available on DVD. My recommendation is to start with the ones that aren't available and then see how much you're willing to pay not to go through all that effort with ones that are available on DVD. Of course, it also depends on how many laser discs you have.

I have at least 20 hours of laser disc material that hasn't been released on DVD and isn't likely to be at all. I have some that might be released. And of course a whole pile where they have issued the movie on DVD - these will likely get replaced (where I bother keeping the movie at all).