Can G5 Powermac drive 2 CRT Monitors?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cabasner, Oct 15, 2005.

1. cabasner macrumors member

Oct 9, 2005
    I am pondering a new G5 Powermac, possibly a 2.7 or 2.5, and have been struggling with what to use as a display. I would really like to get a new LCD display, but at the moment, I'm undecided. So, rather than agonizing over a new display, and given that I have a not very old LaCie 22" CRT, I'd like to use that. However, I'd also like to possibly use a second older CRT monitor as a second monitor for my Photoshop palettes, etc. So my basic question is...can a G5 drive 2 CRTs in the same way it can drive 2 LCD monitors? If so, does it require any additioanl hardware? Also if the answer is yes, how does the interface between monitors work if one is a different size than the other (which I guess is a question I'd like an answer to for LCDs as well).
  2. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    any new g5 will only need two (really cheap, like 5-10 bucks) dvi>>vga adapters to run 2 crt monitors. they just plug into your dvi (monitor out port) port and provide a vga port for a crt monitor. i can't answer the different sizes question wrt os x, but under windows i run a 1280x1024 dvi monitor and a 1024x768 vga monitor just fine.
  3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    I would wait till wendsday for PM updates. And yeh it can run both. ;)
  4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    am doing it right now, a 20" and 17" Apple screens. Only needed a dvi to vga adapter for 30 bucks, available in every Apple store.