Can GB Import a MIDI file?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alanj, Feb 20, 2004.

1. alanj macrumors newbie

2. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Re: Can GB Import a MIDI file?

Most likely not. But I found this super cool program that can convert them into the appropriate MIDI format:

http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/ddm/

Let me know if it works out.

3. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Dude that program is SO useful - i've been doing my music coursework on a mix of Logic and Reason on my PC (cos i've only got a General MIDI Keyboard and can't afford to buy stuff for my mac yet!) and I used that program to import everything to garageband to make use of it's excellent drum and guitar sounds!!

Thanks!

4. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

Sweet! Glad I could help you out.

5. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

just a question, once i use that program to convert a midi file into the appropriate format and then import into garageband, am i able to assign software instruments to each track? i need a recording of a piece i have written for an assignment (which i am not able to just play myself and record it) - and it would be good if i could use something that sounds better than what the midi sounds like now. thanks in advance for any help.

6. GovornorPhatt macrumors regular

Kaylee,
    DDM takes the midi file and breaks it into seperate tracks. They then are turned into software instruments tracks by GB. You can then keep the notes and change the instruments. Give it a try and see for yourself. I love DDM, very easy to use.

7. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

thanks so much for your help :) , i did actually read over the site and saw about how it split it into a file for each track, i just wasnt sure if it would let me change instruments on each of the tracks or not. i'll be buying GB (well iLife technically but anyway) in the next few days now that i know it will do what i need.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Can't iTunes convert midi files?

(fires up iTunes) Yep. Probably doesn't do it as well as DDM, and I don't have iLife (yet), but you'd think GB would do it natively. If it doesn't, time to send those suggestion e-mails to Apple.

Seems to me there was a thread about this awhile ago...

9. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

itunes can convert midi files to other formats - but what it does is simply record the playback of the midi file and put it into the format you are converting to - not entirely helpful if you want to get the midi file into garageband in such a way that you can edit each of the tracks from the midi file.

from the site: " Dent du Midi is an application that takes standard MIDI files and generates separate files for each track which contains the MIDI note data. These files are suitable for dropping into Apple's GarageBand application for use as loops or entire tracks. In simple terms, this application allows you to convert MIDI files into GarageBand files.

Isn't this the same as using QuickTime Pro to save as an AIFF file, then importing into GarageBand?
    No, this is very different. Rather than being converted into audio, the data in the file is converted into a form that contains the original MIDI events (such as Note On, Note Off, Volume and Pan parameters). The files are broken up by tracks which are stored as separate files. Each of these files can be imported into GarageBand and the Software Instruments can be selected in GarageBand. This technique also allows for editing of the MIDI data from within GarageBand.

The output files look like QuickTime AIFF audio files, but when I play them in QuickTime Player they stop immediately. What's going on?
    The output files are indeed AIFF files, but they do not contain digital audio waveforms, they contain the MIDI data which only GarageBand knows how to extract. It is completely normal for them not to play a sound from a regular audio file player."

i hope that makes sense, and explains the difference between itunes and ddm's midi conversions. perhaps native support for this in GB will be something for future versions.

10. Harald4 macrumors member

Make it easy on yourself, go to www.myriad-online.com, open your midi file, copy your selection to a new document, export it as an .aiff, drag it to GB, now yo wonder...you rock

11. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

Yeah - would be great if Apple did build midi import and export into a future version of GB. I have always used Dent du midi - which is fantastic - I have no idea how it works but it just does!

What does the myriad-online.com part do?

Thanks

12. Harald4 macrumors member

They provide a demo that will not save, called melody assistant or the pro version harmony assistant, with a bunch of tutorials and scripts, those, after a whlle of serious reading...
    and investing some money (yes, I know, only the best things in life are free), will solve all your (musical) problems...
    Export your track(s) as an .aiff, edit them in soundtrack, drag them to GB, here u go...

13. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

But that still won't import midi into garageband... am I missing something here?

14. Harald4 macrumors member

Easy spoken, no, apple's policy in introducing new ideas is to give developers a certain amount of time to make money and if they survive they are swallowed... remember oms? do you like the secure empty trash?
    Not always is the shortest way a straight line...
    you have to convert your midi file(s) as stated to an .aiff,
    well, maybe in kitty?