Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypersapien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Hello- I'm trying to rip the final disc of Dexter Season 1 (disc 4), which contains only the final episode and mostly bonus content. I'm getting bad sector errors that prevent me from completing this season. Are there any work arounds for this problem?

I just watched the disc normally, and the episode plays fine. When I use handbrake to rip this disc, its initial "scanning new source" dialogue only gets to 11 of 19 titles and then stays there.

Any ideas?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Try opening up the DVD and dragging the entire contents to your hard disk. (usually a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder) and see if you can get everything successfully copied.

hypersapien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Try opening up the DVD and dragging the entire contents to your hard disk. (usually a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder) and see if you can get everything successfully copied.

I'm trying that now, so far one VOB file didn't work. I'm going to copy as many files over as it lets me, and hope there is a way to rip the files that did successfully transfer.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Assuming that the disk is in good condition then bad sector errors are usually a type of copy protection that DVD's use to stop you copying them. Most DVD decrypting software can handle bad sector copy protection, eg AnyDVD for windows.

hypersapien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys, I finally got it to work and am now better prepared for the next time I face this.

First, I tried copying all the files from the dvd to my HD. Five of the largest .VOB files on the disc couldn't be copied over. I tried running hand brake on a couple of the largest .VOB files that did transfer, but they came out all scrambled. However, I could still make out that these select tracks were the ones that contained the episode I wanted.

Next I downloaded mac the ripper. MCTR allowed me to select the individual titles I wanted to rip rather than the whole disc, thus skipping the bad sectors. I don't know if there's a way to make this program output a .m4v file or not, but I got a repackaged folder of more .vob's and stuff. So I then ran handbrake on this new folder, and voila! Finally I have completed this series. =)

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Note that in HandBrake you can use open source title specific to just scan and encode the exact title you want. Much like mtr or dtox. As long as the bad portion is not in the title you want to rip (which in this instance sounds like the case) hb will ignore anything but the title you specify.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#titlespecificscan

Note: If you are using 0.9.4 or greater (which you should be imo) there is a shortcut. Any time the source browse window is open, after you choose your dvd, hold down the option key while clicking the "Open" button, that will tell the HandBrake MacGui to ask for the specific title next and then only scan that title number instead of the entire source.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Note that in HandBrake you can use open source title specific to just scan and encode the exact title you want. Much like mtr or dtox. As long as the bad portion is not in the title you want to rip (which in this instance sounds like the case) hb will ignore anything but the title you specify.

Note: If you are using 0.9.4 or greater (which you should be imo) there is a shortcut. Any time the source browse window is open, after you choose your dvd, hold down the option key while clicking the "Open" button, that will tell the HandBrake MacGui to ask for the specific title next and then only scan that title number instead of the entire source.

OMG..I am running 0.9.5 and I just tried the Option trick. It worked like a champ! I will never again scan the entire disk. Thank you so much for that!!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
No problem, scans are much shorter if you don't have hb scan the entire disk, especially on those 99 title disney flicks.

giobox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009

This is the most useful shortcut I've learned in a while. I have ripped hundreds of DVDs in Handbrake and not known about this. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.