Can HDDs be "daisy-chained" on new Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Steven Jackson, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Just as title. Does the new Air-Disk feature allow a number of USB 2 drives to be "daisy-chained" together to have greater storage?

Cheers,

Steve.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You can't daisy-chain USB drives, but you can connect a USB hub on the Extreme N router and hang multiple drives and a printer.

3. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I didn't know that. Don't mean to be rude, but are you absolutely sure (I only ask because it's going to seriously affect my purchasing decisions for new drives...)

Cheers,

Steve

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its worded a little funny...

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/sharing.html

"Do everything.

What if you’d like to exchange files over your wireless network and still have access to a network printer? Easy. Just connect a USB hub to AirPort Extreme and attach your devices to the hub. Share both a printer and a hard drive, multiple printers, or multiple hard drives."

5. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

USB is a serialized protocol so in a roundabout way a USB hub is handling the daisy chaining. :rolleyes:

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If you want to get technical, USB is actually a tiered star and doesn't use daisy chaining at all. :rolleyes:

I think the OP wanted to know the features of the new AEBS, like if it supports more than one drive.

7. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

8. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

USB does not support daisy-chaining. If you have a device that you think does, it actually has a usb hub built-in. If you have a device like that, it should be sufficent, so long as your drives are self-powdered, not bus powered.