Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xROBERTxDAVISx

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
NO

Not yet as there is no USB slot just now and I doubt the camera conection kit will work and I doubt a bluetooth webcam wouldnt work but maybe there will be a bluetooth webcam soon for this.

And to your second question which is your main one. You can use skype I think but only microphone built in.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
As was said, although there is not an iChat program, there are AIM programs for the iPad. However, you will not be able to use a webcam. On the other side, developers have been allowed to have hardware connect to the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch in order to fit programming needs, so that is not to say some company may not make a camera connector in the future.

Also, Skype is available, but only voice. With iPhone 4.0 you will be able to Skype in the background, which will make it a much more useful program as well.

Hope this all helps.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
NO
And to your second question which is your main one. You can use skype I think but only microphone built in.

You can also use the wired headphones with the microphone.

There's another thread on this from today. The poster couldn't get BT headset to work. That's because there is no hands-free profile in the iPad.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I'm pretty much CERTAIN, that either Apple, or a third party, or even BOTH, will come out with a camera that connects to the iPad. Why build it into the iPad, when you can sell it individually and make more money?

Thanks for thinking of yourself Apple:apple:

tkettle

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Could someone develop an App that uses the Iphones camera as a web cam through bluetooth?

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
What's the name of it? TIA.

You need to download "Camera A" on your iPad and "Camera B" on your iPhone. Yes, those are the names of the applications. Very creative.

As to the OP, a webcam can be used on the iPad through Wi-Fi/3G/EDGE (iCam) and bluetooth (Camera A/B) or someone could make a webcam connector for the iPad (not done yet). The thing is, none of the chat programs out there have coded this into their applications.

Unless there's a problem, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to (I don't think they should, because that would confuse some customers out there who don't realize you need to get a webcam for it to work).

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Uninterrupted lines...

Because Steve hates things hanging off his devices. He likes smooth, clean lines that has a particular look and tactile feel.

Oh yeah, just like the camera connection kit they sell?

I would expect Apple [or someone else] to make a plug-in [or bluetooth] webcam for the 1st gen iPad as soon as the 2nd gen one comes out. There will be a huge market waiting for a camera accessory when iOS 4.2 comes to iPad especially with Facetime included. As Apple are trying to popularise Facetime, it would be pretty dumb if they didn't address the issue, coz you can be pretty sure that not all of the 1st gen owners will want to shell out another £500 just to get a built-in camera.

macwheels

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Oh yeah, just like the camera connection kit they sell?

I would expect Apple [or someone else] to make a plug-in [or bluetooth] webcam for the 1st gen iPad as soon as the 2nd gen one comes out. There will be a huge market waiting for a camera accessory when iOS 4.2 comes to iPad especially with Facetime included. As Apple are trying to popularise Facetime, it would be pretty dumb if they didn't address the issue, coz you can be pretty sure that not all of the 1st gen owners will want to shell out another £500 just to get a built-in camera.

Also, a camera that is *attached to* the iPad could have the ability to swivel or point in more directions than is possible with a camera that is built into the iPad. When using FaceTime with the new iPod Touch, it is not possible to look directly into the camera lens and also directly into your own eyes as they appear on the screen -- which is a natural impulse, to make eye contact -- due to the fact that the camera lens is located ABOVE the screen. I am guessing that having a camera that can swivel, independent of the orientation of the screen, would be an improvement on this.

True?

snooze

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Please explain "plug-in" problem

Hope I'm not too late to get an answer re: webcams.

The iPad has a USB plug-in whixh is what the webcam I bought needs in order to connect with the iPad. Am I missing something?

My question is: how do I download the CD containing the drivers et al without a CD drive; & how can you then get this into iTunes in order to sync it to my iPad? Plus, I don't even know if the webcam I got will work since its a Microsoft Lifecam HD-6000 for Notebooks. Can anyone help?

I am VERY new to everything Apple having always used what was required at work; Wiindows based PCs. I am quite ignorant of the workings of Apple and am doing my best to come up to speed as quickly as I can.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Hope I'm not too late to get an answer re: webcams.

The iPad has a USB plug-in whixh is what the webcam I bought needs in order to connect with the iPad. Am I missing something?

My question is: how do I download the CD containing the drivers et al without a CD drive; & how can you then get this into iTunes in order to sync it to my iPad? Plus, I don't even know if the webcam I got will work since its a Microsoft Lifecam HD-6000 for Notebooks. Can anyone help?

I am VERY new to everything Apple having always used what was required at work; Wiindows based PCs. I am quite ignorant of the workings of Apple and am doing my best to come up to speed as quickly as I can.

I don't think there are any USB webcams for the iPad. It sounds like you bought an external webcam for laptops or desktops which will not work with the iPad.

DylanY

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
iPad Webcam, Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro

So I'm not exactly sure, but I've heard of the iPad webcam, and I'm thinking about buying it, I need to know if it is compatible with the iPad and will it work with apps such as: Skype, Tango, or FaceTime. If anybody has had the Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro, please do write back. This is a $200 webcam alone on Microsoft, and only $80 if you buy it in some kind of package deal. In the description of it, it says it will work with devices from the Apple iPod to the Microsoft Zune but I was just wondering if the Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Pro will work with the Apple iPad, I would appreciate it if I got some replys.:D

Last edited:

kobzar

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Yes! You can do it now!!!

The simplest case! Open your Mac, launch Safari, type: ebay.com, and there( on ebay) search a: Bluetooth Camcorder Looxcie LX1. Then order and waiton shipping.
Tech Specs of Looxcie LX1 you can on: Ipad Bluetooth Camcorders
P.C. Don't be a mistaken - don't buy a camera BT-1 of ecamm, because BT-1 is for Macs, but no for iPads! BT-1 doesn't work on iPads!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.