Can I apply photobooth effects to a regular picture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WillMak, Jul 8, 2006.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I really like the built in effects of photobooth, but is there a way I can apply those very same effects with pictures that I have already taken with my digital camera?

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Yes, they're just Core Image effects so there are a number of applications that allow you to use them.

If you have the Developer Tools installed, you can use Core Image Fun House (/Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools/Core Image Fun House). It allows you to use all the effects in Photo Booth as well as a number of other ones (in combination with each other, if you like!), and gives you options for each. The effects have different names than in Photo Booth, however, so you'd need to do some experimentation to find the right ones.

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think I have developer tools installed if it's something the stock macbook doesn't come with :-\

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

They aren't installed by default but there's an installer included on the discs that came with your MacBook. They take up a gigabyte or two though, so it's up to you whether it's worth installing them just for this. Otherwise, search on one of the version tracking sites and you can probably find a similar program.

5. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The developer tools installation allows you to install the stuff that you want. You can make the installation quite small. Yes, there are things that are going to be installed whether you like it or not, but it doesn't have to be 2 GB or anything.

7. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Here's the search results for searching for "Core Image" at VersionTracker and MacUpdate:

Many of the apps in those searches aren't relevant, but you can probably find one that will do what you want.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Image Tricks by BeLight Software is free and does core image transformations.