Can I avoid buying a windows laptop?! I want a mac.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brobson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I have all my AOL saved favorite lessons (art teacher) on my iMac and for some reason can't get them on my windows computers even with converting them with Appleworks.

I was all set to buy an ibook but found out our school isn't set up for wireless.
    The apple salesperson says that means I can't plug my eternet cable into the school's internet (digital) line?

I guess I could make desktop copies of each lesson page and transfer them that way to an ibook but what a pain.

Any advice? I am about to give up and get a windows which I don't want!

Brenda in Dallas

:confused:

2. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I'm not sure what you mean by connecting to your school's digital internet. Do you know the type of connection they are giving you? If it is a standard LAN line (aka Ethernet, Fast Ethernet), you'll be fine. The entire Mac line has an RJ-45 jack for those purposes. If it is an ISDN or T1 line that you are connecting directly to, then you're out of luck. You'd be out of luck with most any laptop if you needed that.

However, keep in mind that no matter what the entire school's Internet connection is, you only need to worry about the type of jack you need to plug your laptop into. To be honest, it is most likely (and I'd give that about a 98-99% chance) that you'll be plugging your laptop into an RJ-45 jack (the LAN line above)

As for converting your AOL saved lessons, what format are those in? My wife is a school teacher too, so if you need help converting them, PM me and I'd be glad to help out.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What type of files are they again?

Also, just because the school doesn't have wireless, doesn't mean you can't use the internet. All you'll need is an ethernet cable and an ethernet port in the wall of your school or something. The ethernet cable has ends that are similar to that of a phone jack, but wider.

Just plug the cable into an ethernet jack that's available (like at home if you have cable internet or something), and it should work. Well, it does at most schools.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

6. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Cross Posting

Why is it not ok to cross post? No one can read all cross catagories. I don't want to have bad etiquette of course.

Thanks Tom, I sent you an email in your inbox.
    Brenda

7. Nspace macrumors regular

Because there is no reason to have the same thread in two places.