Can I backup my Tiger DVD with Toast?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PinkFloyd, May 2, 2005.

1. PinkFloyd macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I want to make a backup of my Tiger DVD. Is is possible to use the "CD/DVD Copy" feature on Toast Titanium 6 to make an exact copy of Tiger on a blank DVD?

Also, will I be able to boot and do a clean install from this backup DVD?

(Please note that I am ***not*** asking how to rip the .dmg file, nor am I asking to make an image file. I don't want to do that. I just want to make an exact copy onto a blank DVD)

I lost a LOT of money last year because one of my Final Cut Pro DVD's was scratched when it accidentally jammed in my Superdrive tray. :( I had to repurchase the program again. :mad: Had I made a backup, everything would have been okay.

Thanks for all replies. I appreciate your time and help. :)

2. PinkFloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that thread before posting. My question was not answered in that thread. My question was specifically:

I want to make a backup of my Tiger DVD. Is is possible to use the "CD/DVD Copy" feature on Toast Titanium 6 to make an exact copy of Tiger on a blank DVD?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why use Toast when Disk Utility does the job?

4. PinkFloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I am not very experienced with Mac, I have never used the program you mention, and I just want to do it in the easiest, least complicated way. If I wanted complicated processes, I would still be using Windows! ;)

Anyway, could someone please just answer the original questions:

Is is possible to use the "CD/DVD Copy" feature on Toast Titanium 6 to make an exact copy of Tiger on a blank DVD?

Thanks. :)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Disk Utility is your friend. It lives in your Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

You will need to learn how to use it at some point to repair permissions, anyway.

Doing it with Disk Utility is not complicated. If you read the thread I linked to more thoroughly, you will read that the way to do it in Toast is almost exactly the same way to do it with Disk Utility.

Read: rickvanr's description of how to do it in Toast.

Good luck.

6. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

The "CD/DVD Copy" feature doesn't work anymore after you installed 10.4. Tiger breaks that feature in Toast! If you want to do it, do it with your "old" MacOS X version, before you install Tiger. A "cloned" DVD made with Toast boots correctly and can be used to install the system.

If you already installed Tiger you need to process like described in the other thread until Roxio releases an update for Toast in order to fix the issues uner Tiger...

groovebuster

7. PinkFloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answeing my question, groovebuster! :D
    I appreciate the additional info you gave, too.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:confused: You're not so expert with the mac but you lost -Scratched- one of your FCP DVDs, am I missing something?, I guess in those cases you may contact apple and tell them the story about the FCP DVD and with you purchase bill or registration number you could get help.
    There is something I don't understand at all but forget it and forgive me (if I judge wrong) -I'd like to say, nevermind- :rolleyes: