Can I batch process with the GIMP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lord Blackadder, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've been using image editiong software for years but I'm still a n00b when it comes to going beyond the basics (I still haven't figured out how to mask my avatar so there isn't a big white square around it... :rolleyes: :eek:)

I have around 1000 photos I'd like to resize for the web. Is there a way I can do this all at once with the GIMP, or any other free app? I don't really feel like doing them all manually...

If it helps, I have an old version of Photoshop laying around somewhere, I think v.4.

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I could whip one up for you, if you give me the dimensions. I actually just created one for myself, to resize desktops...

5. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Personally when I need to resize a whole bunch of images, I have used imagemagick, though I have only used this on a netBSD machine, though I found it can be used on Mac os X, found it here on macupdate
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12447

Once you have imagemagick you can convert via Terminal
    You could use it by doing something like this to convert one at a time...
    Code:
    convert -resize 100x16 originalpic_name.jpg resizedpic_name.jpg

or use wildcards to convert a whole bunch
    Code:
    mogrify -resize 100x16 *.jpg *

The above command with wildcards will convert all .jpg images in the currect directory into 100x16 pics and replace themselves with the converted pic (I would make copies of these before you attempt this if you want to keep the original ones)

I also found this batch converter plug in for GIMP though I have no clue how well it works as I have never tried it.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html

6. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, they're a mix of 3072x2048, 2272x1704, 1600x1200 and the vertical version of those (2048x3072 etc.). I was going to try resizing all of them to 800x600.

I just surfed around and I may give imagemagick a shot, looks like a steep learning curve though. I also saw that GIMP plugin, but I don't know how to install it.

7. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Gah ok, I just tried installing the GIMP plugin but it was a bust. I didn't realize that you needed gimp-devel packages includes to compile it, and I'm not quite sure off hand how to get those onto a Mac OS X system, so you'll probably want to forget that one.