Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I am hoping to give my son an iPhone and it would be useful for a lot of his educational uses so I want him to have the internet to use but there's a few websites I'd like to block such as YouTube and Facebook.
Do the Parental controls allow me to block specific websites? From what I've read up on it appears you can't block specific websites?
I have never been a believer in jailbreaking a phone but it comes up for this. If Apple's iOS5 does not allow blocking of websites, can I jailbreak the iPhone with a jailbroken version of iOS5 that maybe allows features such as blocking websites? Or would a jailbroken iphone have these features?
Thanks for your help.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I am hoping to give my son an iPhone and it would be useful for a lot of his educational uses so I want him to have the internet to use but there's a few websites I'd like to block such as YouTube and Facebook.
Do the Parental controls allow me to block specific websites? From what I've read up on it appears you can't block specific websites?
I have never been a believer in jailbreaking a phone but it comes up for this. If Apple's iOS5 does not allow blocking of websites, can I jailbreak the iPhone with a jailbroken version of iOS5 that maybe allows features such as blocking websites? Or would a jailbroken iphone have these features?
Thanks for your help.
You can't block specific sites with Safari, but you can disable it - along with the ability to download apps, run YouTube etc. There are browsers in the app store that claim to offer safe filtering for youngsters. Kill Safari, YouTube etc, get a kid friendly browser, then block app downloads moving forward and you should be all set. Bottom line, you should be able to accomplish your mission without needing a jailbreak.

If you're buying new, think about a really good shock-resistant case and some insurance/AppleCare etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.