can i boot tiger of a usb hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nifty_nigel10, Jan 8, 2005.

1. nifty_nigel10 macrumors member

hey i was wondering could i boot a copy of 8a294 off a usb hard drive (or would it be really slow) and how much space would i need to run it?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's all covered in the developer notes. I assume you're an ADC Select or Premiere member, so you can just log in to read up on it.

3. rozwell macrumors regular

do what jsw said. isnt their a dev forum for ADC members only? i would assume so, but i could be wrong.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

USB drives are not boot-able like FireWire drives. :)

5. nifty_nigel10 thread starter macrumors member

i dont actually have tiger but i was wondering if it was possible. so if i cant boot from my usb hd can i partition my internal and boot from that or could that hash things up if something goes wrong. so say i partition my internal and install it can i still boot into panther?

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

For someone who doesn't have Tiger you're showing a lot of interest in how to boot it from your system.

Or you could say...you're showing a lot of interest in how to boot the last widely leaked version of Tiger from your system.

AppleMatt

7. nifty_nigel10 thread starter macrumors member

you shouldnt assume these things, although i have noticed from another source probably a more reliable source that it is possible to boot from a usb device.