Can I broadcast wi-fi using my Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whistlerpro, Dec 1, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro, and am thinking of getting an iPod touch, but my university network is wired. I just want to be able to use the internet wirelessly on the touch in my room if I get it.

Is there any way to get the mac to broadcast the internet it is getting through ethernet as wireless (wi-fi)?

Please respond, thanks! =)

2. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know you can create computer-to-computer networks but I don't know if that will allow you to share the ethernet connection.

3. macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes you can and it is easy.

Go to system preferences->sharing->internet sharing (a tab in Tiger or it is in the list in Leopard)

Under the pull down labeled "Share you connection from" choose ethernet. In the list below check the airport box. Click start.

4. macrumors regular

I have my MBP plugged in via lan and is broadcasting WIFI. Very easy to do. I have a wireless router but it's nice having the mbp as a backup access point.

5. macrumors regular

Dfndr90

I used to do the same thing until a got a new router.

6. macrumors member

Wow, what a cool feature. Does the Mac just strengthen the existing signal, or does it actually create a new, separate network to connect to? Can you control wireless security settings in a similar fashion as a router?

I have an old PC with wireless in a room with my MBP. The MBP can see the router but the PC is too weak, so I'd like to get it connected as well.

My MBP is awaiting a new power adapter, otherwise I'd test myself :eek:

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

All sounds cool, but when I do that, I get a warning saying about how I could destabilise the network and how i could break the terms of service. I don't think I would really be doing the last thing, since I don't intend to share the wifi with anyone else in the flat or around.

But how likely is it that I could cause banable damage to the network? Is it really that big a deal?

8. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've referred to this thread a few times in the last year via a Google search. I have an iMac and I broadcast my wifi to my ipod and friend's mac book; it works well. Now last week I bought my Wife a netbook that runs on XP. The netbook sees the wifi signal and I can connect only if I remove the password on the signal on my iMac. If I protect the system with a password the netbook asks for the key. I enter the password as the key but it won't connect.

Any ideas?

9. macrumors 6502a

You can also buy this, it converts your ethernet connection to a wireless one , Buy me