Can I burn a purchased iTunes Movie on DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kraftzwerg, Sep 22, 2006.

1. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

This may have been asked before somewhere, but it's just a quick question, so I don't search around a lot:

After I purchased a movie from the ITunes Store, can I burn it on a DVD to watch it on a regular DVD-player/TV combo?

Thanks ahead!

2. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you must, success has been reported using the analog hole. Play the video through the S-video/composite adapter for your PC/Mac/iPod and capture it using a miniDV camcorder back into iDVD/iMovie/your favorite tool.

Why bother.

B

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

A set-top DVD recorder should work as well and would be faster than capturing DV.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

True, but it would still take place in real time. You'd have to play the movie once through an analog output and recapture it at the resolution the DVD supports, which would mean scaling the video's resolution and introducing all kinds of compression artifacts. Much easier just use the S-video/composite adapter straight to the TV.

B

6. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

7. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

In actuality you are buying the DVD, but some how Apple and the other companies have made it so you cant backup a movie that you purchased. You can do it with the music, and i certainly do it with my music, who's to say the whole computer system won't crash, and there goes all your movies. Some say, "well thats why you should back up" But if i could just simply backup a movie that i bought with my own money it wouldn't be a problem. Now if the movies were free, and they were only allowing you to view them online, then i wouldn't care, but when i spend money i want more rights to the product that im buying. Im not going to download not one movie. Why would i ever want to watch a show on a ipod screen anyway. Who's really buying into this concept? I guess he's (Jobs) trying to make the apple computer a digital hub with that new inventions thats allows you to stream your movie to your tv. So after buying the computer, then paying for the internet service (and it better be broadband) to download movies, then paying for the movie, then paying for the iTV device... then you can watch a movie from you computer to your regular TV. And it streams over a wireless connection from your computer to the TV. I wonder will the video be consistant? And i also wonder, will it bog down your internet connection when your watching a movie from your computer? I do think its a smart move, getting into the whole video thing, but im not falling for it... until i can backup my movies on disc. I make a hard copy of all my itunes music, i should be able to do the same with what ever else i purchase from the apple online music/video store.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wow, that was a long and incoherent rant.

You can back-up your movies, just burn them to DVD as a data file.

9. weaponofchoice macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree more. You CAN backup your movies, BUT you can not burn them to play in a dvd player.

10. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

here's a short rant. Why cant you back them up to view? I think its a issue if im spending money for them.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

...Because the studios don't want you to (for obvious reasons).

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Since iTV comes with a hard disk, I wonder if that will be the backup.....

13. roadapple macrumors regular

Don't buy them, issue solved.

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Because that was the deal the TV/Movie studios insisted upon. If you don't like it then don't buy iTunes movies.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As has already been pointed out you can absolutely back them up, iTunes 7 even has a nice new button to facilitate that. You just can't view that back up in a standalone DVD player or without a computer linked to your iTunes Store account, but you should have known that when you bought it.

B

16. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

If you buy retail DVDs, you cannot create backups without breaking the CSS. At least you can backup iTS movies as DVD-ROM data files; you just can't watch on a TV without Apple's forthcoming $299 dongle.

17. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Sure you can. Just copy the movie to your iPod video and connect the iPod to your TV.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Now that's the best way of putting it! "dongle" :)