Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
I am about to head to the AT&T store, can i buy a iPhone with cash there, or will they make me pay by credit card...

.. i have a visa checkcard (no Credit card) .. If they make me pay by credit, can i put like $1 on the check card and $400 in cash?

Thanks

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I am about to head to the AT&T store, can i buy a iPhone with cash there, or will they make me pay by credit card...

.. i have a visa checkcard (no Credit card) .. If they make me pay by credit, can i put like $1 on the check card and $400 in cash?

Thanks

Give them a call? It will save you heartache if they don't… ;)

pugple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Not sure about the AT&T store but I think they do the same as an Apple store where they will require you to use a card of sorts. And yeah, you should be able to put a tiny bit on the card and pay the rest in cash. They just want to make sure you're not buying a lot and they do that by credit card I think.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I know the apple store lets you pay with cash + $1 on credit, so I think ATT would as well.

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
Nope, at least not at Apple Stores. They won't let you buy an iPhone with only a gift card, a credit card needs to be used in the transaction.

you can do this in Apple stores now-- I have a friend who did it this past weekend.

bennypod

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
AT&T always lets you buy with cash for iPhones (at least the store in lansing does). Our family has bought 4 from the AT&T store and payed cash for them. They were gifts for other family members.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
Wheeew, i just just cashed and deposited the check i had... and bought it on the card...

Tried to give me a hard time in buying it with no contract, but finally let me go..

I cracked it on the drive home... and now am a proud owner of a jailbroken, iPhone running on t-Mobile!

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Tried to give me a hard time in buying it with no contract, but finally let me go..

You do the whole contract thing through iTunes once you get home.. so.. why would they give you a hard time with that? My experience going to a AT&T store tells me they do the same thing.. you just buy the phone and do the contract later..

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
If they do try and make you activate it in store, tell them its a gift for someone, because then they would need to active it under their name with their details. ;)

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
legally you can
apple's policy says otherwise

You are thinking of debt, you can ALWAYS pay debt with US bank notes. This does not mean that stores have to accept US bank notes if you want to make a purchase.

They can have a policy that they only accept pinecones if they want.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
Dang! Do you have a chauffeur?

Actually as a car-less college student, i had a friends drive me...

I was gonna hold off for the 3G iPhone, untill my other friend decided to throw my current phone against a wall (alcohol involved)... Cracked the screen, and just gave me an excuse to take the plunge.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Actually as a car-less college student, i had a friends drive me...

I was gonna hold off for the 3G iPhone, untill my other friend decided to throw my current phone against a wall (alcohol involved)... Cracked the screen, and just gave me an excuse to take the plunge.

I would have got one of them £15 cheapy phones to use until June, and also never drink with that guy ever again.

apmos

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Hello,

I am from Greece. My brother is coming to US in a few days, he'll stay in NY.

I want to give him my credit card so he will buy 2 iphones for me (from the store in 5th Avenue). So.. is that possible? Do they check for id or passport at applestores? I'm asking this cause here in Greece you can't use any credit card if it's not on your name (and of course you have your id to prove it).

Also, is there any AT&T store in NY which accepts cash for sure?

Sorry for my bad English,

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.