Can I connect my mac, and a Pc to my cable modem?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by VegasMac, Jan 17, 2005.

1. VegasMac macrumors newbie

VegasMac

Just been poundering a quick question, I have a wireless network with my G4 laptop, and I'm thinking about getting a PC for my girlfirend. How would I connect that Pc to the internet, with my cable modem, can I USB it? I know it's probably a dum question but just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

No problem.
    I have an Airport Extreme Base Station hooked to my cable modem. An iMac is plugged into the AEBS ethernet port, my PB connects to the wireless network via Airport card, and my wife's new Vaio was easy to set up on the wireless network. She can even print wirelessly to the printer I have hooked into the USB port on my Airport Express.

try this link for some helpful instructions.

3. Rootman macrumors 6502

Use ethernet, not USB.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You have a couple of options. But first things first. How do you have your G4 networked? You say wireless, but what kind of router?

If you have a standard set-up, you could ...

1. connect your gf's PC to the wireless router via ethernet OR
    2. connect your gf's PC to the wireless router via 802.11 card.

there are other options, but these two are probably the easiest. The 1st option would cost next to nothing as most PC's these days come with an ethernet card. The 2nd option would involve buying an 802.11 (a,b, or g) device of some sort.

Hope this helps.

5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

The real question is "why would you buy your G'friend a PC".

Are you trying to get her to leave you?

6. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

you should be able to have your pc connected wirelessly. here at my place we have 4 PCs that are wirelessly connected to the AEBS. OR You can connect the PC via ethernet on the AEBS or get a hub. Either way works :).

7. VegasMac thread starter macrumors newbie

VegasMac

Cool thanks for the comments, My power book is wirelss through the airport, and i print wireless too. So I guess i just have to buy a hub, and connect it to the PC. And for Diamonds question it's really for me haha.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Well, if you have an Airport (basestation), then you don't even need a hub. Buy (or beg, borrow, steal) an ethernet cable and connect the PC to the basestation's extra LAN port.

9. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Yeah, a $8 dollar eithernet cable will do, or just get your computer with wireless built in. I think its pretty much standard on Dell laptops as well as Gateways.