Can I connect my Mac to my 360 with an ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Games' started by BengalDuck, Feb 19, 2007.

1. BengalDuck macrumors regular

As of now, my 360 isn't connected to anything. I have an airport extreme that gives me internet wirelessly to my computer, so my ethernet port is open. I've actually already paid for Connect360 as I plan on getting a wireless networking adapter, but in the time being I was wondering if I could simply stream my music from my computer to the 360 just by connecting them through an ethernet cord.

If so, how?

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

3. woxel1 macrumors member

4. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

5. BengalDuck thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly is a crossover? I have an ethernet cord connected to them both and through the link provided (and the subsequent links in that post). As far as I know, I can connect to X-Box Live (I just updated my 360) but I'm not sure if I can share with my mac yet.

6. freakyTaj macrumors newbie

If you plan to connect wirelessly with the new airport extreme= NO (xbox can't detect wireless signal fron station)
    wired =Yes

7. BengalDuck thread starter macrumors regular

I realize this thread is about a month old but I want to bump this thread and link in case I or anyone else has the issue as well. I got it working because of this link immediately, and I just did it again after sending my broken X-Box back.

Thank you very much.

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Almost all modern macs come with autosensing ethernet ports so any ethernet cable should be fine.

10. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As far as patch/crossover goes, I have a feeling that everything since they went aluminium has MDX cards, so any cable'll be fine

11. BRUUUCE macrumors member

a better question is, if using an express to extend the signal, doesn't that make it g and not n, so the xbox should pick the signal up?

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If your sharing the the signal from an wireless laptop it's the laptop that is doing the wireless work and not the 360 so the g / n equation doesn't even come into the picture.

Basically you will recieve data at whatever the shared device is connecting through. The 360 still thinks it is on an ethernet router and therefore doesnt have to worry that your using an airport extreme BS.