can i connect my powerbook to the internet using my pc?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazyboy922, Feb 5, 2004.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

I have my pc connected to the internet with a dsl modem. I also have my powerbook connected to my pc with an ethernet crossover cable. is there a way to connect my powerbook to the internet through my pc?
    Thanks

2. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

What M$ operating system are you running? Win-doze XP?

If so, you can use M$ internet connection sharing which is a feature that has been in since Winblows Me if I recall correctly. Right click the connection coming from your DSL modem and play around with the internet connection sharing options. It's fairly easy, which makes me think M$ copied this feature from Apple.

3. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

yes im running xp. I wonder if my service allows me to share? would they know?

4. laserbeahm macrumors member

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I believe its called Internet Connect Sharing in XP. I assume you have two NICs in your PC.

A simple search on google is all you need.

http://www.homenethelp.com/ics/ics-install-netxp.asp

Then just set your mac to DHCP and I think the rest is handled.

Why not just spend the $50 and get a router? You also have more control.

6. kajax101 macrumors newbie

What abou the other way round??

I have a iMac 1ghz connected to net via dsl modem, can I connect my new XP laptop to it with a crossover cable? I need to be able to connect to the internet, that is my main priority.

-Thanks

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

How many ethernet ports do you have on the iMac? If it's less than 2, you'll need another solution.

A very good solution is to use a router. You can get one for around $30. Plug the dsl modem into the router. Plug both the iMac and XP lappy into a port on the router. You're in business.

NOTE, you might have to reset the modem (by turning it off, wait a minute or two, turn it back on). This will release the IP address and when you turn it back on, the modem will get a new IP address.

BTW, if you go with a router, you won't need to use crossover cables. Regular old ethernet cables will do.

8. kajax101 macrumors newbie

thanks

Oh, I see, I only have 1 ethernet port on my mac. I tried using a vigor router to connect to the net once, connected the modem to the vigor, the vigor to my imac, but it didn't work I was concerned that it if I tried to connect my imac and XP to a router it wouldn't work. Can you suggest any specific models? Also, as my XP is a laptop I was interested in setting up wireless access, would an AirportExtreme base unit work for this? Would I just need a wireless pc card for this?

-Thanks for the help.

p.s. Just to check, with a crossover cable, I'll only be able to share files right, not internet connection, correct?

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've never heard of a vigor brand router. I'm not sure why it didn't work. Personally, I have a Netgear wireless router for my system and I'm very happy with it. All my computers are laptops, so it made more sense to go with a wireless system. My wireless router does have 4 ports on it, so I can hook up computers with wires if I want.

Netgear has a 4-port router that goes for $40 at Amazon after rebates. But since you're thinking of going with a wireless option for your laptop, you might want to consider going wireless. The router I have is going for $50 at Amazon after rebates. My model is the WGR614 and it's 802.11g (54Mbps).

Incidentally, the Netgear WGR814 (802.11b - 11Mbps) is going for $30, so it's less than the wired router. If you don't want it to send out a signal, you can turn it off and have essentially a wired router.

Unless you have a specific reason to go with Apple's Base Station, I would say to get a cheaper wireless router. The Aiport Extreme unit is $200 and it only has 1 ethernet port. It does have a USB port for adding a printer, which is good.

For your XP laptop, you'll need a wireless card. Get an 802.11g one for the extra speed. They don't cost too much more. But note, if you get a 11g card, you'll want to get a 11g router.

In regards to the crossover cable. If you only have one ethernet port on your iMac, then yes, the only thing you can do is share files. This is because you need a ethernet port for the DSL modem. UNLESS, your DSL modem has a USB connetion. My dad's Verizon DSL modem had both USB and ethernet. In theory, you could connect the modem to the iMac's USB. Connect the two computers via ethernet. Share the connection and you're set. The only problem is that Verizon doesn't provide USB drivers for the Mac since all newish Macs have ethernet.

My advice, get some sort of router. Wired or wireless. Your choice.

10. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help...it just so happens that my DSL modem does connect via USB, it's a webshuttle DSL very good, perfect connection no problems. So does this mean I can use a crossover cable???

p.s. I will probably upgrade to the netgear products at some stage, but I just bought the XP lappy last week and eager to get it set up.

Again thanks for your help.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, before you go out and spend money on a router. Does this DSL modem have both USB and ethernet? If it only has DSL, a router won't help you.

OK, if you get a crossover cable, you should be able to set you iMac to share it's Internet connection. Then on the XP machine, set the network setting to DHCP and you should be set. I'm not too familiar with the settings, so someone else might be able to help you out.

The main thing is that you should be able to share your Internet connection from your iMac to your XP laptop. And you should be able to share files as well.

12. kajax101 macrumors newbie

13. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

14. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help!

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for the help. I'll see if the crossover cable will work, I'll have to tinker with the settings as this is the first time i've ever networked 2 computers, let alone a mac and a pc! :rolleyes:

15. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Share printer between mac and pc with crossover cable

Just to let you know, I was able to hook my pc and mac up using a crossover cable.

I am able to share files and my boradband internet connecetion between the two computers, although I'd like to tidy things up a bit.

I do have one more question though, how hard would it be to share my printer.

Here's my set up:

iMac OS X connected to XP Laptop with crossover cable.

Able to share internet connection and files

I have a USB HP printer connected and running on my iMac, how can I print to it from my XP laptop? Is there a setting where I can setup the printer for sharing?

-Thanks

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Glad to hear you got your network up and going without much cost. Macs can definately share printers, although I'm not sure if a Windows PC can access them.

In OS X 10.2.x, you can turn on Printer Sharing via the Sharing Preference. Click the checkbox and that should do it. I think OS X handles printer sharing with Rendevous and I don't think WinXP supports Rendevous.

At the very least, click that checkbox and try to get it to work. From the Windows side, you might have to load the HP driver and set the port to the IP address of your iMac. Or something like that. If you have success, be sure to post your solution. Others may be trying the exact same thing. Who knows, you could be someone's hero. :D

17. kajax101 macrumors newbie

I'll pass on the good word...

Good point, I'm more than happy to pass on any good information I get.

As for connecting my mac and pc via crossover cable, didn't really do so much myself, just swichted on windows file sharing, and internet sharing from the sharing tab in the systerms preferences.

From the xp side, I used a networking wizard that allowed me to set up for small home/business networking.

I have to sort things out a bit more though, as file sharing isn't perfect, I had to create a new file that I could dump shared documents, i'd like to set it up so I could just access the files on my mac from my pc and the files on my pc from my mac, but I think I can handle it.

One thing was that I couldn't figure out the IP address of my PC, although I am able to see my pc from my mac.

The next challenge is to share the printer, and I think I will have to move to sharing my internet connection through an adsl modem and router or a modem /router so I won't have to keep my mac on to run my pc etc. This will also allow me to add more pc's/macs, even wirelessly if I connect the modem to an apple airport unit.

Any other words of wisdom you may have for me?

-Thanks

18. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Try THIS PAGE
    for figuring out your XP machine's IP address.

As for sharing printers. Eventually you'll probably want to share the printer via a router or Airport Base Station. Just make sure your printer is on Apple's compatibility list. If not, you'll have to use some other solutions. I've looked into a few mini print servers and they all seem to work for PCs. Macs seem to have fewer options, unless you have a Postscript printer, which I don't.

I'm waiting for the new Keyspan device which is supposedly coming out soon. It will allow for USB printer sharing as well as USB peripherals such as scanners and hard drives.

My advice is if you don't need an Apple Airport Base Station, don't get it. You can be adequately served with any number of wireless routers out there at a fraction of the cost. However, if your printer is supported, the ABS is a nice option.

19. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

20. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. As for the airport base unit, well, here in the UK, similar solutions aren't quite a fraction of the price, actually almost the same price for a wireless router/modem as an airport baseunit. The only thing is, that with a base unit I'd have to buy an additional ethernet ADSL modem. I think one of the netgear products would be alright, then I'll use the airport base unit to connect wirelessly from my laptop.

I just find it quite confusing to set-up a router/modem with my details so I can access the net, let alone use one to set up a LAN.

Do you know any othe resources that would be good for networking pcs and macs, i've been scouring the net like a maniac!

-Thanks

21. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    router

It'd be much more simple to get a router and run to ethernet cords to the computers and then set their settings individually.

On a side note:

I use winXP at home (YUCK!) and I have dial up shared ( I know I know SLOW) on my win network (from preswitch era!) I set up ICS to share on that LAN and then used a wireless/wired router to share the internet with my PB. I had to set these settings in sys prefs:

IPv4: Manually
    IP address: (has to be in the 192.168.0.2-255 range)
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    router: 192.168.0.254 (this has previously been 192.168.0.1[the add of the xp, i don't know why its not right now,so if this doesnt work, try that])
    DNS: 192.168.0.1 (this may be why^^^)

then i have appletalk turned on.

This works for me!

22. kajax101 macrumors newbie

Thanks Calebj14,

I did manage to hook it up after all, but a router would be better, my only problem with this is that I had a USB ADSL modem, very popular in the UK as this is what the ISPs provide you with (we have a habit of getting the cheap crap over here).

So I wanted to use a crossover cable, to use a router I will need an Ethernet modem. And in that case I might as well use an Airport base unit, to save using wires.

-Thanks