Can I convert iTunes to MP3s?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AppleDuck, Mar 9, 2007.

1. AppleDuck macrumors member

Hello. I have an iBook G4. I also have an iAudio F1 MP3 player. It plays MP3s, OGGs, WAVs, and WMAs, but not iTunes files. Is there a way I can convert the iTunes files to one of the 4 files my mp3 player supports?

Thanks.:)

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Your iTunes library can contain either mp3 or aac encoded songs. If you have them in mp3, they will play fine on your player. The problem is that you can't use iTunes to sync with an off-brand mp3 player; you'll need to use software provided by the manufacturer, or just drag them on to the player when it's connected.

Basically, there's no such thing as an 'iTunes file'.

3. AppleDuck thread starter macrumors member

By iTunes file, I mean the files that you buy iTunes in. I think they are ACC or something? The files that only work with iPods. I'm wondering if there is some sort of software that will convert those files into MP3 or OGG files that I can play on my mp3 player.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Music that you purchase from the iTunes Music store can be played in one of the following ways:
    - on your computer
    - on your iPod
    - burned to a disc

Those are your options.

5. Teddy's macrumors 6502

Burn it, then rip it

*read legal disclaimer on page 3 :rolleyes:

eeer... itunes

6. AppleDuck thread starter macrumors member

Page 3 of what? Do you have a link? Sorry, I'm new here and haven't figured everything out yet.

What files are songs from the iTunes music store? AAC or AAV or something?

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

AAC is not an iTunes file format, think of it as the latest iteration of MP3. AAC itself is not locked to the iPod/iTunes. However songs from the iTunes store come with Fairplay DRM that locks them into the iPod/iTunes. The only way to put them on your MP3 player it to first burn them to cd then rip the songs from the cd. If you're ok with the loss of quality in doing this that is your only option to get songs purchased from iTunes onto your player.

8. AppleDuck thread starter macrumors member

Well, that would be okay. Right now the only way I can get songs onto my mp3 player is ripping them from CDs that I buy in the store. iTunes is the only non subscription music store I've found.

9. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Did you change the import settings within iTunes to MP3? iTunes it set to AAC by default. If you haven't changed these setting and songs you ripped from your personal cd collection play on your player it must then support non-DRM AAC.

10. AppleDuck thread starter macrumors member

I just read online about changing that setting. I'm going to do that.

I've never ripped a CD on my Mac. I ripped a few on my family's Linux computer.

11. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Depending on your taste in music you might want to check out eMusic. They carry a lot of the independent label stuff at very affordable prices (usually around $.30 a song depending on the package you select). Best of all the files you download are DRM free and higher quality then the iTMS.

I still get most of my music from CDs though... I just like having them. Change the import settings to a somewhat high bitrate MP3 and you should be set.

12. palam macrumors newbie

Personally, i use some other software to convert iTunes music to plain mp3 playable on my MP3 player not only on iPod. Maybe you can try NoteBurner and this little program burns virtual audio CD of iTunes music and then these burned music will be ripped to the hard drive.