Can I convert wmv files to something that iPhoto '05 will import?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Jan 24, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I was really excited that the new iphoto would import movies. Alot of my movies are wmv files. Is there any way I could convert these into something that iphoto will import?

2. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

I've been wanting to be able to convert wmv to .mov or mpeg for quite awhile now. I don't know of any application that is available now that can do it. You can use snapz pro which takes screen captures of video playing and convert that to a quicktime file, but that is kind of a pain. Coming in the first quarter of this year, however, is a wmv converter for mac. Here is the link. http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_import.htm

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The new iPhoto can import video clips. The intent of this is to be able to download the short video clips that can be taken with your digital camera and, AFAIK, most cameras store these clips as MPEGs.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

"Closed propriatary formats" is one of the best reasons to avoid anything with the word "Microsoft" written on it.

iPhoto imports mpeg movies, which are what all the digital cameras I know of do their video in. iPhoto will probably import anything that Quicktime can play--but Quicktime doesn't play wmv.

I haven't played around with wmv much, but you might be able to find an app that will convert it to avi. Depending on the codec Quicktime can play avi.

I might be able to ease your suffering a little bit though. iPhoto's importing of movies isn't that big a deal. It will take them off your camera, which it wouldn't do before, and it will put them in a library and make a thumbnail. When it comes to playing them, it just opens Quicktime. So it's just a more convenient way to do what you're already doing. It's nothing revolutionary.

5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I know about the thumbnails. I have a folder of funny videos i've downloaded over the years. It's about half quicktime and half wmv. It would be nice to have them altogether, but I guess I'm being too picky. lol

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Write email to the people who are offering their video as wmv. I can't imagine anybody doing that on purpose unless they had an agenda (MSNBC I'm looking at you). Out of ignorance or convenience people use wmv because it's what's easily available to them. Remind them that when you offer content for the web you should want everyone to have equal access to it.*

*The above does not apply to horrortaxi.net. If it looks funny in IE that's because it's standards compliant and IE has a hard time playing by the rules. I actually don't know what it looks like in IE--it might be fine but I don't care.