Can I Create My Own Message Board?????

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Jan 18, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Like for me and my friends to post stuff? For free? Any links would be cool, and what does it take to manage a message board? Am I gettin' myself into somethin' that I probably can't handle?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

4. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Sign up with a A Small Orange hosting and they will provide you with the software to run a forum like this one.

peace.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ohhh..... So many Choices, Which site should I use???????????? Hmmm..... I'll wait for some more opinions. Who has had good experiences with these sites?

6. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I just made a ProBoards message board, and it's not all that hard to set up. Interface isn't quite vBulletin quality, but it works.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Do you already have a web site, or are you looking for a place to host it too?

If you already have a service provider, do they support PHP and/or MySQL? I'm asking because there are packages like phpBB, but they depend on the services your ISP lets you run.

I have a friend who is studying programming and wrote his own forum system for his own web site. Not nearly as fancy as vBulletin (used by the MacRumors forums), but pretty good for home-made! Sorry, he's not selling or sharing it.

You are correct - there are lots of choices.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't have a site, just want to have a message board. I made one with Proboard, it was quick and easy, just what I was lookin' for, Thanks!!!

9. urban1985_ macrumors regular

I remember my high school english class used MSN groups to have discussions. They have message boards there. It's not as fancy as Ezboards, but it's free and it's meant for little groups of people, which sounds like what you're trying to do.