can I 'daisy-chain' fw hubs?

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by malch, Jan 24, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi... I just got a fw hub, which solved some of my issues having to do with having as many external fw drives, and whatever other fw hardware I have. I no longer have to unplug/plug as much when I go from one project to another. But even with the hub, I still need more fw ports...
    Can I add another fw hub to this 'chain', without suffering any ill effects?
    Thanks for any advice,
    malch

2. macrumors 6502

As far as I am aware, yes provided the hub or device is not slower than the one you are plugging into.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Andy... I'll give it a try.
    malch

4. macrumors 6502

no prob malch.

I have various firewire devices daisy-chained and suffer no loss of speed (I have tested using every port/config etc.) Are you using 400 or 800 or both?

Also, I was not aware of a hub that has more than 3 ports for an external 800 hub?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Andy,
    Sorry to be so slow getting back to you. My hub is only fw 400.
    4 extra ports.
    I'm suddenly a little nervous, because yesterday I attached a second fw hub, and shortly thereafter, the fw 400 and fw 800 ports on my MBP stopped working! I had to re-set things by unplugging AC and taking my battery out and holding down the power key for five seconds.
    I wonder if I did something wrong.
    If I try it again... do I need to plug in AC to the second fw hub, or is this somehow unnecessary, because the first one is already getting power?
    Cheers,
    Malcolm