Can I do chords patterns with GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChrisH3677, Jan 30, 2004.

1. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    Well.. it's all well and good to do original music with GB but what if I want to do covers? They have chord patterns.

Transposing is very limited. So if I do originals, does it mean I have to do all the musical tracks manually?? So then GB is only good for drum loops for cover songs?

Is that right?

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I find most of the loops (apart from the drum loops ± some bass) are useless for actually making any decent music out of. Generally, a loop that is in C actually is made up of about 4 chords that loop and may actually comprise of C, D, F and G before looping again.

To make cover songs, you're far better hooking up a MIDI keyboard and recording your own loops and melodies. The effects included with GarageBand (for software and real instrument tracks) is quite amazing and I think this is where its real strength lies. The loops are just a little extra thing for playing around with.

Oh, and don't worry if you're not a musician. Recording simple parts is easy, and knowledge of what chords work together soon comes with practice! Also, with MIDI you can "cover up" mistakes you made during a live performance.

My advice though, make your own original stuff. It's far more satisfying...