Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
British Telecom are offering to sell and set up a computer. They say they will help choose a computer that best suits your needs. I rang the helpline and said what I wanted to do (email, web, digital photos, basic documents, etc). Was told they just sold HP computers. I said "oh, cos my brother has an iMac and it looks really easy to use and it doesn't get all those virus things" (I could get an Oscar for this...). Harmless bias from the telesalesman so far...

Then he says that you can't run software like Word, Excel and Dreamweaver on a Mac. And it can't share files with a PC. Or join a PC network.

Is this legal?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
This is ignorance.

The standard answer of the non-Mac-familiar nukklehead.

It shouldn't be legal, 'cause he is lying.
Why can't these kind of people just say: "I don't know" ? Does is sound stupid to admit that you are unfamiliar with the Mac? This DOES sound stupid: Claiming things that are obviously wrong...

What did you tell this guy..?!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: It's not legal

Originally posted by zoetropeuk
You should get his name and extention and report it to http://www.oft.gov.uk/default.htm] http://www.oft.gov.uk/default.htm[/URL]
It's quite simply false and misleading advertising. Ignorance is no defence and BT could get into serious trouble. You should also report it to http://www.oftel.co.uk/ these organisations look for any excuse to hammer the big guys !!!

That's the route you need.... I'd also get intouch with Apple UK Customer Services and report it to them as well... as I'm sure they'd be very interested in getting intouch with BT for a word...

BT eh.... :rolleyes:

Swinny

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
Any way you could try again and record the phonecall at all? Be quite an amusing thing to pass around...

Would certainly scare the pants off of BT and would make other big companies realise they need to understand/support the Mac community more for fear of being shown up in a similar way.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Swinny
Any way you could try again and record the phonecall at all? Be quite an amusing thing to pass around...

Would certainly scare the pants off of BT and would make other big companies realise they need to understand/support the Mac community more for fear of being shown up in a similar way.

Excellent idea!

Share it via FastTrack..... :D

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Here's the number!

I guess this will only work in the UK:

0800 800 832

When I spoke to the guy (called 'Gil') I voiced my surprise at most of what he said, but didn't confront him with the truth.

Thanks for the feedback - I shall follow it up. But if anyone else wants to join in, feel free!

Keith Purfield

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2003
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Yeah. I hate people like that.

My friend's friend wants to get a Mac, but her dad won't let her because he's a PC zealot, and thinks that they can't run any software.

But that gives me an idea to go to all the computer stores around and ask them if I should get a Mac. Too bad the only ones here are Best Buy and CompUSA, and they both sell Macs.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Keith Purfield
But that gives me an idea to go to all the computer stores around and ask them if I should get a Mac. Too bad the only ones here are Best Buy and CompUSA, and they both sell Macs.
Although they sell Macs, you still won't get a good answer out of them. I've seen people in the Mac section of Comp USA get swept up and taken to the PCs--unless the Apple rep is there. The Apple rep is really the only one who is going to try to sell you a Mac.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Originally posted by Swinny

Blackmail them for a free computer..... ;)

And I don't think its illegal. Is ignorance illegal now? ;)

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Ignorance isn't illegal, but false advertising leading to the defamation of a company certainly is. If you don't KNOW something, it's better to shut up than to say something that's patently absurd.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's just not right. Let us know what you end up doing - I'd love to see Apple get involved here.

The only thing you might have a problem with is if this rep just made those statements himself or if he was told to say that. If they've been told to discourage macs then there might be a huge issue....

Good luck,

D

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by Bluefusion
Ignorance isn't illegal, but false advertising leading to the defamation of a company certainly is. If you don't KNOW something, it's better to shut up than to say something that's patently absurd.

But if you are ignorant, how do you know something you say is absurd?:confused:

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
That's just not right. Let us know what you end up doing - I'd love to see Apple get involved here.

The only thing you might have a problem with is if this rep just made those statements himself or if he was told to say that. If they've been told to discourage macs then there might be a huge issue....

Good luck,

D

I would be that not only are they told to discourage Macs, they are told to discourage certain brands of PCs. What is the point of the service if they aren't trying to push computers? I am sure some manufacturers are gving them incentives to push their products. That's how most of these things work.

After he suggests an HP ask him why not a Dell? See where that gets you.

frescies

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Just tried dell....

I just tried Dell Customer Service- Sales Department. The lady was relatively honest. When I asked her how the computer that she was trying to sell me was better than a Mac, she said that she really didn't know much about Macs and that she wouldn't be in a position to compare the two. Then I tried to get off the line and was getting bored so I just hung up.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
All the UK members should call and see wether this is a policy thing or wether as Mr. A says the guy was winging it, if enough people get the same result we should really give them a hard time.

I bloody hate BT, bunch of bastards, I went to NTL to get away from them, that's how bad they are:eek:

I'm going to call them tomorrow.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
British Telecom are offering to sell and set up a computer. They say they will help choose a computer that best suits your needs. I rang the helpline and said what I wanted to do (email, web, digital photos, basic documents, etc). Was told they just sold HP computers. I said "oh, cos my brother has an iMac and it looks really easy to use and it doesn't get all those virus things" (I could get an Oscar for this...). Harmless bias from the telesalesman so far...

Then he says that you can't run software like Word, Excel and Dreamweaver on a Mac. And it can't share files with a PC. Or join a PC network.

Is this legal?
I don't think that is legal, but there is nothing you can do because they can simply say the sales rep was simply poorly informed and do not know much about computers.

If you think about it, most of the sales people bs or bend the truth a little to get you to buy something from them. So I don't think this is a big deal.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
slander slander slander, i dont know. but if i had to pick something iw ould pick that. guy just seems like he is paid to say something or is ignorant.

iJon

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Originally posted by billyboy
But if you are ignorant, how do you know something you say is absurd?:confused:

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

(In other words, if you don't know what you're talking about, and you are representing a company... don't SAY ANYTHING!_

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.