Can I do this on Mac XServe?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by chiggins1066, May 24, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2009
    I would like to implement an Mac OS X Server (Xserve) to handle remote VPN clients (including iPhones, if that is possible) and to also act as a Proxy server for internal clients.

Is there a commercial version of proxy software that will work for the newest edition of Mac OSX Server? I have heard people mention the open-source Squid--does it work on the newest OS? Is it a nightmare to configure (after trying to get Open WebMail running on an Ubuntu box I wanted to jump out a window).
  2. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2009
    Since you mention squid, I presume that you specifically need a http proxy. (You can proxy other stuff, too, so just saying "proxy" is ambiguous :)

The Apache server bundled with OS X Server has a proxy mode. In Server Admin, select Web -> Settings -> Proxy, check "Enable Forward Proxy", hit Save - and you're done. (You probably also need to restart the Web service.)

If you want to use squid instead, google "squid os x". There is a standalone installer, instructions on how to install it via MacPorts, and more.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 24, 2009
    Does the Apache server come basically "up and running" in the Mac OSX Server? Or do I need to do extensive configuration (unpacking, making, configuring, etc.)?