Can I do this question with Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trekkie, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Since my system hasn't shown up yet with FCE I was wondering if I can do this feature, or if this is something Motion does.

I have a hard time explaining it, but when I was in an apple store checking out FCE and debating on taking them up on the $99 with a system option, they had a demo video that does something I like from the mvoies and such.

It was a bunch of skateboarders (hopefully someone else has seen the demo clip) and as part of the title sequence they did this thing where each of the skateboarders was doing something, the screen would freeze and I think go B&W and then some color back ground thing would move in from all directions, outline them and then their 'nick name' or whatever popped up as part of the 'credits' I've seen this done on Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells and Snatch for example.

Does FCE let you do something like that or is that something Motion is needed for? Not sure I'd shell out the $299 for motion to do this for fun with home movies but if I could do it in FCE that'd be cool to play with on my kids home movies.

2. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

I don't have Final Cut Express, but..

Final Cut is an editing suite. It lets you put together different clips and audio to make a movie. Kinda like iMovie but a lot more powerful. I don't believe it let's you do special effects, but then I'm not exactly sure about the effect you want.

If you are asking if Final Cut Express can add those special effects to the video, I think the answer is no. I'm not even sure Motion will do what you want. You may need Shake. Or Adobe's After Effects. Not sure.

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Its hard to say what you would need to do this without some screen shots, but it is likely that you would need a compositing tool to fancy titles. You can do a fair bit of layering and moving elements about in final cut but its how the names animate that could be the tricky part. Motion is quite cheap for a compositing tool, you would be spending $1000+ for after effects / combustion / shake.

4. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

OK. Here's a semi good picture of what I'm talking about.

If you look at the default page for FCE you see all the orange blocks and stuff in the 'preview' window. Is that really needing Motion or whatever to do that?

5. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but that Final Cut Express page has been up since before Motion, and though I haven't played around with FCE either yet (waiting for my iMac G5 - it's in Memphis at the moment :( ), that looks like its just multi-layered video, and no - you don't need Motion to do that - FCE can handle 99 all by itself. However I have no idea about your skateboarding video, but maybe some other FCE can help you out...

6. dzo macrumors newbie

To do what's done in the link you gave, you don't need motion (or AE or Shake). You can do it with FCE.

7. Trekkie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

cool. I'll have to play around. The iMac shipped yesterday so it'll be here soon I hope. Can't wait to play around with FCE

8. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yes. We got a demo Cd with that exact project on it, and It is doable in FCE. Check out an Apple Retailer if you want to see it, The apple store may not have it. (Netboot.)